Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I use for anchoring PTP bands and tubes to a brick wall?

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

What can I use for anchoring PTP bands and tubes to a brick wall?

Hi Folks, 

I would like to have 3 permanent fixtures bolted to the brick wall in the garage suitable for a carabiner to utilise the area for resistance band and tube training instead of using the door.

What would be the strongest thing able to withstand constant pulling and not damage the bricks? There are ready-made systems but thought there may be a simple DIY bolt/anchor I can install. 

DonnaL_0-1623278108437.png  DonnaL_1-1623278415075.png

Thanks very much. 

Donna L

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What can I use for anchoring PTP bands and tubes to a brick wall?

10mm eye bolt 

I wish that they had the load rating for that one listed but the 8mm is rated up to 60kg.

Above that you could get a Eye Nut to replace the nut on standard fasteners which come with higher load ratings.

A young person like @MitchellMc might know more about the chemical anchors than I do as I am Dynabolt generation.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @DonnaL,

It's great to see the knowledgeable @Brad has already been assisting.

If you are not confident with installing these brackets yourself, I'd recommend you employ the services of a professional. If one of these brackets dislodged whilst under tension from the band, there could be dire consequences. I'm sure you've seen videos of those bands letting go before, and they are not pleasant. With a metal fixing connecting to the end, it would be all the worse.

For light, medium and most heavy-duty bands, I agree that a 10mm eye bolt would be sufficient. As brad has mentioned, for the next level up, you could consider using Ramset 12 x 100mm DynaBolt Plus Hex Nut Bolts but replacing the nuts with Pinnacle 50 x 55 x 13mm M12 Zinc Plated Eye Nuts. Since you'll constantly be pulling on the Dynabolts, I'd suggest adding some Ramset 380ml ChemSet 101 Plus on the bolt and into the hole before tightening them. That way, you'll have both a mechanical and chemical connection. 

Please let us know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thank you so much. Yeah! I'm probably of your gen too ... something real and solid inspires more confidence in me. 

DonnaL
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Mitchell. We have a builder currently renovating the garage to habitable standard and he will we doing the install for me. We are leaving the brick wall as a feature and putting shelving in between the in wall "support columns" so I will be using one of those, columns that is, rather just the single brick wall or plasterboard.  Yeah ... I have seen some horrific vids. Thanks for advice. Always helpful and more importantly easy for someone like me to understand. 

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

hello @DonnaL 

Just to add information to the recommendations. I always use the principal of overkill when a great amount of weight is being used or is being applied on to an object. Hence I suggest using the Grunt Heavy Duty Anchor Point - 2 Pack It has an applied weight rating of 2,250 kg so it should be safe for both pushing and pulling. Combined with @MitchellMc mounting suggestions of Dynabolts and Chemset it should be very secure. As there are two points of mounting for the anchor you have more safety. It's rated for outside use and hence is weather resistant.

Cheers,

Red

Screenshot_2021-06-12 Grunt Heavy Duty Anchor Point - 2 Pack.png

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

A quick chime in from a safety freak... no matter how strong the anchors are, the weak link is "brick". It isn't known for being good at dealing with moving loads (see: any earthquake aftermath photos).  I recommend that you anchor a length of timber to the wall, preferably at 3 points, then fix your bracket to that. Timber fibres will flex and absorb some movement as well as spreading the dynamic loading over a wider area of 3 bricks instead of pulling at one potentially weak point.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects