Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which platform ladder should I buy?

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Which platform ladder should I buy?

Good morning, I'm in need of some ladder advice.
I need a ladder for home use and have narrowed it down to 3 options (unless someone changes my mind on here) and they are 

• Bailey 1.2m 4 Step Aluminium Platform Ladder FS13712 ($139)

• Bailey 120kg 4 Step Twin Platform Step Stool ($99)

• Bailey 1.2m 150kg Aluminium Platform Ladder FS13581($400)

I'm hoping someone has experience of all 3 and can advise me. I weigh less than half of $120 kg so weight is not the issue.
Stability and safety are priorities and I need a 3.1-metre reach.
The twin platform step stool looks really practical but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing? 
TIA

Paulene

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which platform ladder should I buy?

Hello @Paulene

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about which platform ladder should you purchase.

The Bailey 1.2m 4 Step Aluminium Platform Ladder is an excellent platform ladder. It features a handrail that is positioned at 900mm past the platform. This makes it quite safe when reaching for a package above your head as you still have a point of contact at waist height. It has a weight capacity of 120kg. Even if the person was around 80kg, this will still allow you to bring down a package weighing 30kg. The Bailey 120kg 4 Step Twin Platform Step Stool is ideal for multi-level shelves, however, its handrail is only at 540mm and although you can step on the top platform there are no other points of contact once you're on top of the platform. The Bailey 1.2m 150kg Aluminium Platform Ladder has a higher load rating and larger platform standing area. Its handrail is at the same height as the FS13712. 

If you're looking for a more robust ladder, I recommend the Gorilla 4-5-6 Step Compact Adjustable Platform. This is an industrial rated platform ladder with an adjustable platform height. It has an extra-wide stance with its built-in side legs. This gives you extra support to prevent accidental side tipping. Its handrail is also at 900mm and has the same weight rating as the FS13581.

The first three ladders are rated for domestic use, only the Gorilla is industrial rated. If the ladder is to be used in a rough environment and is constantly moved, I recommend the Gorilla Platform ladder for strength and long term use.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
brendawebster44
Making a Splash

Hi Pauline, I bought the Baileys stepladder with the four steps two platforms that Eric suggested and painted the whole house with it. I have never felt safer. My neighbours wouldn’t let me borrow theirs said I would break my neck. My seventy year old friend helped with the architraves and is still with us. I have a small two step stool for the kitchen and hate it. Nothing to hold on to. The good thing about the Bailey is it is easy to carry ie. lightweight and you have some thing to hang on to. Anyway Pauline good luck with your endeavours, b🌺

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric. 
I go over the information you've so kindly supplied.
I only need to ladder for domestic use but stability and safety are paramount.
I don't want to over buy but neither to I want something flimsy.
Food for thought. 
Kind regards 
Paulene 
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

The Bailey 4 step (120 kg) does look good for only $99 and gets excellent reviews on the Bunnings website, but I noticed one reviewer said this...

"It is not as sturdy as I was expecting but it does the job."

Looking closer - are they rivets or the ends of rods?

Clipboard01.jpg

Hi Brenda
Thanks for taking the time to reply and telling me about your experience.
I'm a little confused by Eric's statement "The Bailey 120kg 4 Step Twin Platform Step Stool is ideal for multi-level shelves, however, its handrail is only at 540mm and although you can step on the top platform there are no other points of contact once you're on top of the platform." as the specs information says it's great for reaching 3.1 metres.
What was the highest you were able to comfortably and safely reach?
Kind regards

Paulene

Paulene
Growing in Experience

Hi again Eric
I'm a little confused by your statement "The Bailey 120kg 4 Step Twin Platform Step Stool is ideal for multi-level shelves, however, its handrail is only at 540mm and although you can step on the top platform there are no other points of contact once you're on top of the platform." as the specs information says it's great for reaching 3.1 metres.
Can you explain a little more, please?
I went onto the Leopold store on Friday to try to see the difference but despite the website saying the items were in stock they were not, which was very frustrating.
KInd regards

Paulene

Hi my comrade in arms. I have just nearly finished my painting and can honestly say the ladders I used where bomb proof and I always felt safe. I have high ceilings and had to reach a fair bit which I know you’re not supposed to but oh well still felt safe.Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words so here goes,

B408D03E-29CC-4631-8E20-FD891B9F163C.jpeg

6295BBD5-B58D-4184-BF8F-0D94D237F3F9.jpeg

6340D62A-4E6C-4279-A397-9A35422DE88C.jpeg

2016D162-6136-4DCA-9CEB-9EAFA618BF8C.jpeg

ABB8A870-F43C-4FE8-923A-D2D80A0724FF.jpeg

EE907157-321C-44C9-B61B-2EDA9462A68D.jpeg

0E0DAA84-4AF8-4899-B9BC-958B56C50B01.jpeg

B95C54AC-AA60-4431-87E7-27B489B734E3.jpeg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

"Looking closer - are they rivets or the ends of rods?"

Left side is a rivit and the right looks to be a pin into the platform.

Hello @Paulene

I'm sorry that you didn't find what you were looking for at the store. It's great that @brendawebster44 has gone above and beyond by posting pictures of her Bailey ladder. If you look closely when you climb the final step to reach 3.1 meters the blacktop handhold will be at your knee. Normally that would be the safety contact point. But in this instance, you will have to hold on to the wall to come down carefully. I hope that clears that up.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects