Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The easiest vegetables to grow

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

The easiest vegetables to grow

Tomato.png

It was great to see in our recent Workshop poll that many community members already grow their own backyard produce.

But for those who either feel too time-poor to grow vegies or lack confidence to give it a try, please let us know what you think are the easiest ways to get started. 

What are your tips for the easiest vegetables to grow? \

What other advice can you share with community members who would like to get started growing their own food? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Your tips for the easiest veggies to grow

I like @CathM's advice to "feed your soil, not your plants". If you are starting out it's important to have good soil.

At the moment you can plant things like potatoes, spring onions, carrots and capsciums which are all pretty easy. Depending on where you are it will also soon be warm enough for the likes of lettuce and tomato, which can be a little harder because of pests but we worth growing. 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

A simple herb garden is a good place to start. Parsley, mint, corriander, rosemary, basil, chives and thyme. 

For vegetables at this time of year you can plant things like beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, capsicum, carrot, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, spring onion, sweet corn, tomato and zucchini.

CathD
Making a Splash

Would suggest mint, which grows like a weed (probably best to keep in pots for that reason) and any leafy greens, which don't need as much sun as a lot of other vegetables. You can also pack them in together so you don't need a lot of space.

Then when you've got some confidence you can move up to tomatoes.

Grow something you will eat! @greygardener and @CathD both have an extensive list of vegetables and herbs that are easy to grow and require little attention.
Good luck to those who give it a go and, most importantly, have fun!
geejaybee
Growing in Experience

I have a 9 square meter raised vegetable garden that has failed in most cases due to the summer heat, but I have in it a superb mint ground cover. Ideally, because this grows like a "weed" it has covered this area nicely and smells absolutely devine. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@geejaybee is that a sleeper bed or galv?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

While hunting for Radius garden hand tools, I stumbled upon this site, it caters to people around Sydney that don't have time, space, or the skills to set up a home vegie patch.

EzyGrow Planters

I'm thinking that the pre-planted elevated beds, might be the perfect Christmas present to give an elderly family member. They can enjoy the therapeutic benefits of a worry free fresh vege supply, that's tailoured to their taste, & at an ideal picking height.

geejaybee
Growing in Experience

My mint grows in a sleeper bed on a sloped block of approximately 40cm deep at one end to 1.2 meters deep at the other. It is 3 meters x 3 meters square and because of this depth is why I believe it failed as a regular vege garden. Although I used great bought in soil, it drains way to efficiently and dries out. The mint seems to love this.

This will be a good idea for anyone needs a raised garden bed -
https://www.bunnings.com.au/vegepod-2-x-1m-raised-garden-kit_p3321636

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects