Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do you ever dim the lights?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Do you ever dim the lights?

One of the selling points of new LED lights is that they are dimmable. I'm not convinced it is a selling point though. Does anyone ever actually dim the lights? I would have thought they're either on or off. There's plenty of options already for mood lighting, like only having faraway lights on, or a lamp...

Do you ever dim your lights? 

Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: Do you ever dim the lights?

I've got to disagree with you, @Kermit. I have dimmable lights in the lounge and find it super handy. In fact, I'd say they spend more time at 50% brightness than 100%.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@Jackson I think the globes you bought are too bright!

@Kermit - I think the globes you bought are too dim!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm with @Jackson, LED globes are more efficient now (produce more Lumens/W) & prices have nose dived, so it makes sense to go for a higher output, dimmable globe. We have a couple of diffused lens 20Wers which are great for reading, but when we're done, they can be dimmed to a normal output for general lighting.

The downside with ours, is that in days of extreme heat, they can flicker, or cut out, but ours use a stepdown transformer, maybe 240v globes would be fine.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

To quote Roxy Music
"Dim the lights, you can guess the rest"

At what passes for work yes makes it easier to see presentations.
At home had a dimmer table lamp for watching tv, it gave up and it's hard to find a replacement that looks ok.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@Kermit

Absolutely....  I have installed dimmable LED lighting throughout the house and a lot of people have raved about them.  The room Deb likes the most is the kitchen as she can ramp them up when cooking and turn them down so we have ambient lighting.  We have open plan living.  Another room is the games where we can have the pool table light on full and dimmed lighting around the room.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects