Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you cook your steak?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you cook your steak?

Forget the great debate about the proper name for a sausage and bread. Everyone knows that steak is where it's at.

But how do you cook your steak? 

Share your secret to the perfect steak in the discussion below.

Grilling_Steaks.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jackson
Making a Splash

Re: How do you cook your steak?

I recently discovered the beauty of chimichurri sauce so if I'm BBQing a steak I smother it in that and then cook it medium rare. Now I'm hungry...
cupofchloe
Having an Impact

Scorching hot grill with a thick fillet steak about 2 inches thick, sprayed with olive oil.

3 minutes on each side max wrapped in foil and left for 6 minutes before serving

Fyre
Cultivating a Following

Olive oil, salt and cracked pepper.

Piping hot BBQ, 3-4 minutes each side but I turn constantly.  I feel it helps seal the meat and retain more juices.  Depending how hungry I am, that will determine whether I let it rest or not.

When I am at home, I will mostly go for rump.  It is a very good steak if cooked right ie never more than medium rare.  I don't trust a restaurant to give it the love that I do.  I let them cook softer cuts that are harder to mess up!.

stupidfish
Building a Reputation

Has anyone tried cooking a steak using a sous vide? I saw this article a while ago but haven't given it a go yet:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/how-to/sous-vide-steak/

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Fyre

I just saw this article, which recommends that you turn steak once only during cooking - "any more and the juices escape, which can make the meat tough". I can certainly understand the theory of sealing the steak though to keep the juices in. I'm torn!

Jason

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I cooked a fantastic eye fillet on the BBQ last week. Decided I would try to cook it slower than usual so put the burners on high over the grill and on low over the hotplate. Fillet was brushed with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I put the fillet on the grill to seal it just for a few minutes each side until crusty then turned the grill burners off. Put the hood down and left it for about an hour. Temperature was around 150 which was a little warmer than I wanted but it turned out great.

AshY
Getting Established

Bang on - Piping Hot BBQ is the best way to sear the meat and lock in its juices.

I only ever cook my steaks on my BBQ, pan fry just doesn't cut it.

Oliver oil salt and pepper - no need for anything else if you have good quality steak.

I love a thick T Bone or Scotch

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @AshY. Many thanks for the tips. 

Looking forward to hearing more about your projects, and your cooking skills!

Jason

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I used to be the uncontested outdoor cooking guru of our neighbourhood (my modesty denies me saying, of Australia), but that all fell in a hole when I thought I'd multi-task.
Only 2 metres away, was a shrub that crying out for my secateur weilding artistry, so I took on the challenge, & in doing so, converted 2 sumptuous fillet steaks, into clinker bricks. : (
Needles to say, my gorgeous wife of nearly 43 years, who insists on perfection (that's why she asked me to marry her), sacked me on the spot.
I take full responsibility, but ever since, she's served me mouthwatering steaks that she's had to cook herself, & without fail, she reminds me that men can not multi-task. : (

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects