Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retro caravan renovation

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Retro caravan renovation

CaravanAfter.jpg

Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan from scratch with a Penguin Classics book theme.

Hard work, but well worth the results of a Xmas Holiday project!!

Before 2.jpg

Before 1.jpg

Before 3.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 10.jpg

Radio.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Renovated an old 70s Millard caravan...

Congratulations @Peggers. That looks absolutely brilliant. I'm sure your fantastic work will inspire other Workshop community members.

Have you renovated caravans before? 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. Although I see it's been a while since you joined the community, it's fantastic to see you make your first posts today. It looks like you have a lot of skills and creativity to share with our members. And I trust you will receive a lot of great advice and inspiration from other Workshop members in return. 

Thanks again for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Very cool @Peggers. Love the retro vibe. 

Was anything from the interior salvagable or did you completely gut it?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Nice job @Peggers. Is it to add an "extra room" to the house or do you plan on going the full Kerouac and taking it On the Road?

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

I had to completely gut it. The only thing that stayed was the single bunk and cupboard at one end, but even that needed repairing and new doors. It was essentially just a shell.

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

It's actually up for sale now. I think it would suit someone better as an extra room than for on the road as it's pretty big. I towed it with a Holden Captiva, and it was fine. But it's a big van.

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Jason! I've done 4 other caravans with a mate, but this is the first one I've done on my own. I love doing vans because it involves so many different skills and design styles in such a small space. Bedroom, kitchen, living area, exterior, in 8 square metres!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks again @Peggers. You've obviously got great skills. I hope you can share those other caravan projects with us. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kellie
Making a Splash

Wow, it looks amazing. Well done @Peggers.

Are they dents on the outside of the caravan? Did you have to do anything to the outside other than paint? And what kind of paint do you use?

Peggers
Becoming a Leader

@Kellie Yes, there are a few dings on the outside of the van. The van is over 40 years old. I filled a couple, but left some. In terms of paint I used a roller rather than spray, with a decent full gloss enamel paint. I also added turps and penatrol to the mix so that it settled and gave a spray look.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects