As the water level recedes in my beautiful Murray river, the mosquitoes are arriving in droves and are ferocious and large enough to carry you away. People are 'under attack' not just near the river but in town too. It seems the only good thing is that they are big enough to see and therefore swat before they bite, but most of us are too slow ! The 'Aussie Wave' has gone to the next level around here. What's the best way to avoid being bitten ?? Any suggestions Workshoppers ??
Solved! See most helpful response
Just read about the potential plague about to descend. Here were their tips:
* Cover up. Wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing when outdoors.
* Use mosquito repellents containing DEET or picaridin on exposed skin.
* Try to limit outdoor activity if lots of mosquitoes are about (usually dusk and dawn).
* Make sure there is no stagnant water where mosquitoes can breed around your home by emptying flower pots, tyres, buckets, tins, bird baths and pet bowls weekly.
* Empty children’s wading pools when not being used and keep fishponds stocked with fish.
Mozzies love me .. they seem to single me out in a crowd!
Maybe this might also help you??? Baby oil .. I have this on my Pinterest and tried it and has helped me.
Creamy baby oil = no bites. And you wont smell like bug repellent?! Yes!
Make your own mosquito trap out of an old Coke bottle.
@Trying, the Blood Bank's signed/written me off as a donor since my heart surgery, but I'm a nature lov'n giver, & tech's a buzz. I'm all for those little AI (Artificial Intelligence) drones doing house calls & going about their buzziness.
Sheesh, I even supply my own beer to replace fluids, what more can a man do?
Great info @Isobel -our council just started giving out same on local media. I guess there are no guarantees except to leave town ! That won't be happening but gee my still itchy lumps and bumps from the last few days just won't quit. Still, takes more than mozzies on the hunt to beat us Aussies ! Thank you @BibbyKat@MartyH@Andy_Mann@Juliapinkiepie and@Isobel for your great suggestions.Cheers.
Made the mistake of leaving the bathroom window open for a couple of hours after dark last night. There were mozzies everywhere!