Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Chlorine mark on timber floor

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

Chlorine mark on timber floor

Hi all,

Someone left a wet towel on our timber floor and I assume the chlorine has left a mark. Any ideas about how to remove it? We don't want to have to sand and re-seal the boards!

MarkonFloor.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Chlorine mark on timber floor

This might be something that our resident flooring expert @PJA might be able to assist with.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Perhaps a light sand and varnish? If its old though it will be very difficult to match the colour. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

White spirits may do it, turps is stronger and both will do some damage to the sealer that may be covered up with a wax polish. You have some small areas to test on first.

Thinking out of the box it looks like it has etched the sealer rather than staining the wood so maybe use a car cut and polish to get down to good sealer without removing it all, test on a small area first and it will only work on a gloss finish.
PJA
Having an Impact

not really my area of expertise this one. Hard to imagine this much damage by leaving a wet towel on the floor from a domestic swimming pool.
from the photo it looks like it may be superficial?
i'd try a little oil, just on a test spot to see if that works. Brad has some great ideas.
if it has penetrated you may have to dig deep to catch up with it. lots of sanding, the right oil, may float it out.
_Marley_
Building a Reputation

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the car wax suggestion yesterday. It didn't seem to have any effect. Looks like I might have to try sanding a little, although I'm nervous about making it worse. 

PJA
Having an Impact

look up "Orange Oil" on line. there are many positives and a few dissenters. I have a colleague who swears by it.

I don't really like recomending things that i have not used, or even seen in action.

Like you, i see sanding as a last minute, drastic action.

if you are going to sand anyway, could giving an oil, do any more damage??

Chase it on line, pop inot Bunnings and read the instructions carefully, they may even have other oils or ideas, in store.

Good luck.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@_Marley_

I was going to suggest acetone (nail polish remover) but then thought it may too much.  Then Deb suggested why not try tea tree oil.  Nothing lost nothing gained so they say.  I don't envy you having to sand it back.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

Thanks again. I will give the orange oil a try. 

I feel your pain @_Marley_. We had a mat underneath our dogs' water bowl that was damp, when I lifted it I was greeted with this mess... I'm guessing the only fix here is to call back the floor polishing company.

damaged floor.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects