Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clamp table legs while gluing?

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

How to clamp table legs while gluing?

Hi all,

I’m attempting to fix an occasional table that the legs have fallen off.  It’s a small table and the legs slot into grooves.  There’s a small ledge that sits half way up the legs.  I’m assuming that I can just glue the legs back in but I’ve no idea how to clamp them while it sets.  Any advice greatly appreciated!

elle

image.jpg

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to clamp table legs while gluing?

Dear Eric, thank you for all these suggestions.  I really appreciate your help.  I’m really inexperienced about tool options (well everything DIY actually!) but keen to learn.  So thank you too for the guide to restoration, it is something I’ve been looking for.

Regards Elle

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Thanks JoeAzza.  Superglue is a great idea — and I definitely have some of that!  cheers Elle

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

table 2.jpg

Hi all. I thought you might like to see how the table came out following all your great suggestions.  It took me a little longer than I'd planned, mostly because of competing demands!  Thank you all again for your very helpful suggestions and advice.  All the best Elle

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Elle44

Thank you very much for posting that update. What a beautiful exotic-looking table. It's great that you've managed to repair it, it is truly a unique-looking piece. Can you please tell us a little bit of history about the table? Its point of origin and where those beautiful carvings are based from? Any other information you can share about the table would be much appreciated.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric.  Thanks for your reply, it does look nice doesn’t it!  Sadly I don’t know anything about the table’s origins.  It came from a second hand shop many years ago and has been on my to do list since then. It was painted in a thick black paint which had become very unsightly over time.  It was very difficult to get off and took ages.  I don’t think I managed to get it all off, especially in the carved top as some of it seems quite fragile so I did what I could without damage.  But I’d really appreciate any ideas about the table’s origins.  I’ve looked on line but not seen anything similar.  Cheers, Elle

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Elle.

Table looks great! 👍

Any chance of a photo from underneath - I'm interested how all the gluing went. It looked quite a challenge based on your August photos?

Cheers.

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Hi Noyade, yes that angle's not so beautiful! But it was tricky with the clamps as you say.  I ended up doing the legs one by one, which has left one a little off centre but I was able to connect the mid point bench (also glued). I think the bench part is meant to go under those little knobs on the legs but I couldn't see a way to do it.  I decided to glue in two pieces on either side of each leg for extra stabilty rather than screw them in as I was too cowardly. Table bottom view.jpgbottom view 2.jpg It seems pretty stable though so I'm hopeful.  Cheers Elle

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Elle44 

That is a superb table!  No wonder you were hesitant to paint it!  Like you I'm new to DIY but whatever you ended up doing, Congratulations!  It looks like you put heaps of time into your project driven by the love 😂

And while the Workshop support team are fantastic when it comes to support and advice, it's your efforts have created this gorgeous little piece! 👏🥰  Can't wait to see more or your renovated pieces!

Cheers 🤗

By the way, there are restoration places that can acid wash timber - this is particularly useful for carved or filigreed work. 

Elle44
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @Tyro, I appreciate your comments.  I’m also intrigued by your suggestion about acid washes.  There were parts of the table that I couldn’t get into, not least because the carved sections are quite fragile.  I’ll look into it and see if there’s any possibility of getting the remaining stain out.

regards, Elle

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Elle44 

You might like to contact some of the restoration places.

This one is in WA. The website might give you some ideas of what to put into your search engine:

http://www.thestripjoint.com.au/paint-stripping/

You might also look into getting some paint stripper and power washing it?  Or even a really stiff brush.  If you go with the latter option it's best to remove your  jewellery and wear old clothes, safety glasses  and super thick rubber gloves - just in case it splashes up.  It's a pretty toxic compound.

What treatment is used can also depend on the timbre of the timber 🙄😂 (... I haven't had coffee yet!)

Hope that helps! 

Good luck 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects