Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Common household objects that have now disappeared

CathD
Making a Splash

Common household objects that have now disappeared

I saw one of these the other day - a real blast from the past...

BlastfromthePast.png

It made me start to think about some of the things that you'd once find in every house but now have disappeared. What are some of your nominations?

Kellie
Making a Splash

Re: Common household objects that have now disappeared

I used to have a lot of these - 

cassettes.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Flyspray.jpg

Joker
Having an Impact

walkman.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Joker I found our Sony Walkman & FM Walkman yesterday, they were stashed out of the way in our abandoned analogue Hi-Fi cabinet. To think that I used to use them while using our 2 stroke weed-eater & mower, in the days when lawns were cut every fortnight, whether they needed it or not. :embarassed:

Anyways, I found my electrostatic headphones which I knew I wouldn't have given away, & just as well, as I'd been contemplating getting a pair of AKG Y50s for when I'm on You-Tube (gone through 4 pair of in-ears which were great, but failure prone).

@Jason, here's the toaster of your dreams, you burn 1 side (they weren't automatic & smoke detectors weren't thought of), then tip it sideways as you open the door, & with practice the untoasted side faced the element & ready to go when you shut the door again.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtSMY72CWpw7mV0RD6GPYcYvpnuCM6HJEAlb2B-sw5K6-uVCbZ

More deluxe ones had toast warming racks on top, so that the family all had warm toast, & served at the table together. Anyone remember families eating together?

I pushed one of these from the age of 8, for threepence (*pronounced throopence). The handle was above head height (have I told you that I was tiny?), & the blades would occassionally snag, putting me flat on my back.

*note, the "oo" was that of the word look.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/81/ReelMower.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann It's not too late to get one.

Flymo

Just $149 to go down memory lane.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad, I've actually got a smaller Flymo still hanging in the shed. Life would've been a whole lot easier I was using one of them as a kid, but nah, real men push solid cast iron wheeled Ogdens. Ours was very similar to the one in the background, but it didn't have those **bleep** lightweight wheels. :wink:

https://liveauctioneers-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/d_awaiting_image.png,f_auto,fl_lossy/v2/img/867/30380/11847863_1_x.jpg

Used to be a lot of these in our house, especially after a party!

ringpull.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I remember when every kid had one of these at home.etch.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

DYMO labeller

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I still use a Dymo, bit more modern looking than that one.

I have used it for all the ABN, TFN and account numbers I have to work with stuck on tthe monitor bezel.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects