Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Common household objects that have now disappeared

CathD
Making a Splash

Common household objects that have now disappeared

I saw one of these the other day - a real blast from the past...

BlastfromthePast.png

It made me start to think about some of the things that you'd once find in every house but now have disappeared. What are some of your nominations?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: Common household objects that have now disappeared

While doing the dishes this morning, it came to mind that dinner plates had grown in size.
We have a lovely old dinner set that was handed down, the Dinner Plates (the largest) are 8 1/2" (215mm), while our modern day plates are 10" (253mm).
Not that it matters much, modern trending seems be cardboard, styrofoam or foil packs, depending on group concensus, or deal of the day. Size being gauged on family/event numbers, or the balance of budget vs gluttony.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

http://www.domain.com.au/advice/15-design-trends-making-a-comeback-20160815-gqn88k/

Can't say I agree with some of the items on this list, particularly macrame! But I don't think mid-century furniture ever went out of style. And I would love a drinks trolley. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel I agree, the inclusion of macrame seemed odd. I enjoyed making macrame, & gave them to family & friends back in the day, but also sold a few to acquaintances once word got around about the quality. Materials were cheap, but there was no money in it, especially as craft shops weren't charging much, so even their cut would've been slim.

Anyone saying that macrame is making a resurgence, "is dream'n".:wink:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

What about those personal UV tanning lamps, that were said to be safe. :wink:

I've still got one of those record players with built in speakers @Kermit. Thinking how I can repurpose it as a coffee table or something.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

I don't have pictures but some workshoppers may remember how : A. Fresh bread was home delivered by horse and cart. B. A large block of ice was delivered by horse and cart each week to keep food cool in our ice-chest. ( no fridge/freezers in those days ) C. The 'briquette man' came each week to deliver hessian potato bags full of briquettes. ( A pressed coal material in the rough shape of a house brick - kept us warm most winters ) My young family members agree it's hilarious when I tell them about living in "the old days".
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Trying, I fondly remember the horse drawn carts, it may amaze some that they were still used in the early to mid '70s here in South Australia. The horse would amble along (not stopping) while the Milkie ran from cart to house with the goods, & sorted the money. Ahhh, that cold bottled milk, with it's silver foil cap, & that layer of thick cream was a treat. Yums. :grin:

Bread was delivered during the day, wrapped in a layer of white paper, & us kids'd pick off the end bits of the white bread (to make it look tidier), & the Green Grocer had a horse drawn cart too.

Our home had a copper (a large wood fired, copper vat, the washing machine), though I never saw it in action, but I copped a few rounds at the end of the copper stick, if I was naughty. Who me??? :angelic:

A Kero heater served the whole family well, though there was a bar radiator for when we did homework.

We had a 5' high Pope fridge, the freezer either held an ice tray, or a small home made ice cream, but it'd freeze rock solid regularly, so the ice pick was an essential tool. :smile:

Thanks for the memories @Trying

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

The backyard incinerator?

I have an ancient push lawn mower which I use as a garden ornament - his name is Victor :smile:

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

C'mon @Annette, give ol' Victor a squirt of oil & the kiss of life, it'll be good for the both of you. :cheeky: :wink:

Hubby can rake up the clippings. :cheeky:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects