Workshop
Start a discussion

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF

Clint_hayward
New Contributor

D.I.Y. internal stairs using MDF

Removed carpet. Filled and sanded stairs. Painted treads with dark teal paint then put Cabot's clear urethane with hardener over the top. They came up great. Has depth like there is glass on top. 

CollageMaker_20201022_012026757.jpg

IMG_3829~photo.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: MDF STAIRS

Another great project. Many thanks for sharing @Clint_hayward.

We are looking forward to seeing more.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ianpereira18
New Contributor

What paint did you use for stairs? It is Doors and Trims paint? I am planning a similar project and I'm confused on which paint I can use on MDF stair treads.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ianpereira18. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about what paint was used on the stairs.

Let me tag @Clint_hayward to make them aware of your question. I recommend Taubmans Oil Based Semi-Gloss White Enamel - 1L. This oil-based enamel paint is abrasion resistant, scrub resistant, and has superb washability, making it perfect for high-traffic areas. The topcoat that was applied is a combination of Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Gloss CFP Floor Polyurethane mixed with Cabot's 250ml Clear CFP Hardener

It sounds like a very interesting project. Any updates you can provide while remodeling your stairs would be much appreciated.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Clint_hayward
New Contributor

I actually just used water based Dulux interior paint as i always planned on building up the urethane till it looked like glass.

I would suggest before you do anything even sanding/filling to paint the whole lot with watered down pva glue. Seals it and is easier to sand smooth, plus filler will stick better.

Mine have kids running up and down every day and a year on they haven't got a mark or chip.

ianpereira18
New Contributor

Thanks Clint for your input. If I may ask, is PVA glue similar to high adhesion primer? 

and by watered down, do you mean I dilute the pva glue? @Clint_hayward 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ianpereira18,

Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer is not similar to PVA glue. However, the glue might be allowing the paint to bond better to some degree. MDF is porous and isn't considered a hard-to-paint surface, where a max adhesion primer needs to be used. In this application, @Clint_hayward appears to be using the PVA to harden the MDF's surface and bind the fibres together before sanding. Depending on how old your MDF is, it can become a bit powdery from absorbing moisture in the air or damage. Using the PVA to bind its surface would be beneficial in this circumstance.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects