Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I bring my Magnolia back to life?

Rochelle36
Finding My Feet

Can I bring my Magnolia back to life?

IMG_2883.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Can I bring my Magnolia back to life?

Thanks for your question, @Rochelle36. Let me tag our garden experts @Noelle and @mich1972 for their thoughts on your Magnolia. 

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure having you join us. Don't hesitate to let us know anytime you have a question. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Rochelle36 

Hmmm, it certainly doesn't look great!

Magnolias have quite fibrous roots, so need a deep-ish, well composted and cool soil.  Your poor specimen is in a pot that's barely big enough for it, in what looks like it could be quite a hot spot near your house, so it is no wonder it isn't too happy!

While it is not the best time of year for repotting, I think it is essential that you do something now, or you will lose the shrub completely.

Start by either planting it into a well prepared, compost-rich and shaded soil or transplant into a much larger container (a half wine barrel sized pot would be ideal), using a premium quality potting mix formulated for acid loving plants like gardenias, azaleas and roses. Magnolias enjoy similar conditions.

A new potting mix will include a slow release fertiliser so no more will be needed for about 3-4 months but if you plant it into the garden, make sure you add a slow release fertiliser for acid lovers. Try not to disturb the root ball too much when you take it out of the existing pot.

Regardless of what you do, or when, this shrub needs moisture and cool soil around its roots so move it to a more protected spot on your property as soon as possible, then decide what you want to do.

A seaweed solution given as per label directions every 10-14 days may help it build some strength - it's going to need it.

Great thanks for the advice. While try replanting it. Is there a plant that would be good for that pot? 

Hi @Rochelle36 

You could aways  paint it green? If  nothing works  sorry a  little dark humor at your poor  plants sad condition,

Hi again @Rochelle36 

The location of the pot, which appears to be a very hot, exposed spot, limits what you could try growing in it. Not sure where you are, but two suggestions that enjoy heat and direct sun and would be suited to a pot of that size are one of the many varieties of mandevilla (eg Jade Scarlet) or a dwarf bougainvillea (eg Bambino Magik).

Have a look at the range of heat-loving plants available in your area, read the labels and choose something that appeals.

Thank you so much for all your help. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects