Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Coop life - backyard chickens

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Coop life - backyard chickens

So we adopted our girls in April and they bring us so much joy, eggs and beautiful fertiliser !!!! 

6198A309-73A8-4ACE-AED3-C6F92C023EA3.jpeg

FD530702-FFCE-4682-9354-2778FFF9BB3E.jpeg

7630EF3B-26D8-487B-9849-CA708D5AFA0C.jpeg

4BF161A3-C2B1-4FB7-BD8B-31A4F6C11312.jpeg

9707C09C-8B46-48F4-BAA9-0FBC3B2FEC73.jpeg

Re: Coop life - backyard chickens

G'day @Old-gal24 

Hmmm, interesting as the dogs complicate things a little.

1) I would assume the chickens s would move away from the fence with barking dogs and ignore them, but it would worry me that it is stressing them out.

I don't know if you can obscure the view with old sheets or something?

2) I would imagine that the chickens could flap and fly their way out of the water if they fell in. My girls will flap and fly up onto things, but I've not seen them in water though. Maybe have a couple of things floating for them to reach safety? YouTube might have videos to check on chickens with water/pools. There will be lots of poop around the pool to deal with.

3) My girls free range around lots of veggie beds, but I use chicken wire or the white fruit tree netting either as a border about waist high or over the top of my beds. Anything that grows near the fencing or nets, usually gets pecked and eaten. No biggie as it's usually outer leaves.

4) I have 1 chicken in an enclosed orchard and she keeps all the grass and weeds down under the fruit trees, it's great! Maybe they'll do the same with your fruit trees. Without seeing the yard, I'd imagine that they'd do ok in that area, but not too many. People keep them in smaller spaces with less ability to move around.

I'm not sure what you can do without seeing it all, but good luck and they are such good companions and the eggs are always a bonus!

- Daz.

Hi @Old-gal24,

Perhaps you could share an image of the actual area the chickens will be occupying? It doesn't exactly sound ideal with the pool and veggie patch, but I guess it really comes down to the size of the area that will be dedicated to them. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Caron Im sorry to hear that about your girls. I’m always sharing on here so I hope my girls will make you smile 😃 🐓🐓

Good morning @Old-gal24 I am not sure how you would go with the pool and dog. When you have time could you please share a few photos of where you were thinking of starting a Chook Run 🐓🐓😃

Thank you @mich1972 

I haven't taken any photo's yet, but will do so in the next few days.  I just wanted to thank you for your reply..

Oldgal

Thank you @MitchellMc  will try and get some photo's some time this week and get back to you.

Oldgal

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@mich1972   just awesome.  They are so very photogenic - joy for sure and the way the price of eggs are getting great to help with saving money and using up any scraps..

Cheers

Oldgal.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects