Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How much cow manure to add to garden beds?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How much cow manure to add to garden beds?

Hello Members,

Bought ANL cow manure and wondering on below:

Link for the procured cow manure: (https://www.bunnings.com.au/anl-25l-cow-manure_p3010002?region_id=117310&gclid=CjwKCAiAlp2fBhBPEiwA2...)

1. How much to top up each time (mix with the soil)

2. How frequent to top up. (Is it for every quarter -or- are there any signs to monitor the requirement of the manure looking at the soil, like too dry etc.)

Planning to get pine barks to cover on top of the soil + cows manure to avoid weed growth. Is pine bark suitable on top of cows manure.

Thanks for your time.

Happy Gardening.

MM.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cows Manure

Hi @nagumuthu,

The cow manure application intervals and ratio to soil are governed by what you're planting into it. If this were a veggie garden, then I'd recommend a 1:4 mix of cow manure to soil. You might then like to add some more manure at the beginning of the spring growing season each year. Typically, you wouldn't go any higher than a 1:4 mix for most plants.

Pine bark is suitable to be placed over cow manure. If you want to suppress weeds fully, I'd recommend laying weed matting before the mulch.

Let me mention one of our keen gardeners @mich1972 to see if she has any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How much cow manure to add to garden beds?

Agreed with @MitchellMc add gradual amounts as needed depending how sandy the soil is. @nagumuthu  Are you growing edibles ? 

Re: Cows Manure

Hello @MitchellMc 

Thanks for your reply.

I have a question on frequency of mixing cow manure to soil. Looking at your reply, it looks for every spring, the mix is proposed. Is that good enough for an year at the ratio of 1:4. (or) it has to be performed bi-yearly or quarerly.

By the way, I did cover the sand with weed mat (3 layers). Not with mulch yet. Wondering if any weeds grow, then all the mulch should be removed for taking the weeds out of the soil. Should weed mat alone do the job for preventing weeds, as it is laid in 3 layers ?

nagumuthu_0-1676365587111.png

Thanks

MM

Thanks @mich1972.

Yes. The garden product veggies. While thinking about that, a clarrification is appreciated. That is, while veggies grow in soil (assume that no manure or fertilizer is topped up), will the veggies that come out of the soil has any health impact/impact to the body as they the soil is not fed with manure / fertilizer.

Thanks

MM. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nagumuthu 

Let me tag @mich1972 to make sure they are aware of your other questions. I suppose it depends on how much nutrients are present in the soil at the time of planting. If no other fertilizers or nutrients are added to the soil, the vegetable can only use what is currently there. Will it affect the growth of the vegetable? Odds are it will not reach its maximum potential. Naturally the vegetable will grow bigger if it has more resources to use.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@nagumuthu  Soil needs regular applications of organic matter , compost, fertiliser. If nothing is added, the soil is quite depleted of nutrients which is essential for growing Edibles. You can actually see the manure / compost breaking down over time and see it reverting back to sand and this is a good indication to add more. 

Also it’s important to improve your soil again after say for example, growing your Summer edibles, once all harvested and finished. You would pull out the dead finished end of season crop ( throw it in your Compost heap ) then replenish the soil and prepare it for Autumn / Winter planting. 

When I share updates with my No Dig Edibles bed , I am always adding more layers because it’s extremely sandy soils here in Perth. I’ll tag you in the post so you can get an idea of what I do. 

I don’t really have any measurement on how much I use sorry, I just add it and spread it out. 

Thanks @mich1972. Sure. When cow manure is added with soil, the mix is thick in 'black'; Once soil is consuming nutrients, ideally the color should turn from 'black' to 'other color' (e.g. brown / light brown etc.). I've to experience it as I have not paid attention to it these days. Let me do it from now on. 

At the moment, we are only adding the cow manure. Can you please propose, are these enough for veggies / fruit trees or any other fertilizer from bunnings is required.

I trust 'No Dig Edibles bed' is a project undertaken and leaded by your goodself and keen to know more about it. Thanks for tagging me on.

By the way, will the veggies that come out of the soil (not fed with manure / fertilizer) has low nutritional value for sure; Wondering does it cause any side effects to the body when consumed. I might be stupid to ask this question.  Low nutritional value veggies are not adding value to health when consumed; But the concern here is are they working the other way causing trouble to body cells.

Happy Gardening.

Thanks

MM

@nagumuthu  No harm to the body. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects