Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get repeat flowering in Geranium?

cc1002
Cultivating a Following

How to get repeat flowering in Geranium?

Hi there, there are a couple of big Geraniums in my garden ( Photo 1). They only got flowering this spring( photo 2) and haven’t blooming anymore since then. I’ve tried to fertilizer and prune regularly but doesn’t work. The other small plants of geraniums are keeping blooming. I was wondering if there is sth to do with the type of geraniums. Really appreciate for your advice of how to get  repeat flowering.

Photo1: nowPhoto1: now

Photo 2: flowering in springPhoto 2: flowering in spring

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to get repeat flowering in Geranium?

Hi @cc1002

There are a few things that come to mind when Geraniums are not flowering. The water in the soil is not draining out properly and is keeping the soil too wet. It's not getting enough sun, Geraniums prefer 4 to 6 hours of sunlight. It needs a lot of solar energy to produce its flowers. Temperature also plays a role in its blooming cycle. If it's too far into the shade it could affect its flowering cycle. There is also the possibility that the fertilizer you're using contains too much nitrogen.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle, @BradN and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

Here is a handy link: How to care for and plant geraniums

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get repeat flowering in Geranium?

Hi @cc1002 

Like a lot of plants, the more you trim or prune, the more energy that plant will put into growing, rather than flowering. Geraniums generally don't need a lot of cutting back, unless they become far too large for their growing position, so I would be tempted to put the secateurs away. Don't over-water or over-fertilise, check it's getting enough light and let it do its own thing for a while.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects