Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make my orchid flower?

wendy22
Finding My Feet

How to make my orchid flower?

Hello I have an orchid on my kitchen window which hasn’t flowered. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

image.jpg

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to make my orchid flower?

Hi @wendy22, and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you here.

That little orchid does look a bit sad without flowers doesn't it?

It looks like a Phalaenopsis orchid, and while those can flower multiple times, it can be quite some time between blooms and you might have to give it some extra encouragement.

Can you tell us any more about your plant? How long have you had it? I'm guessing that it must have already flowered at least once because people don't tend to buy them if they're not flowering.

You might find these guides helpful: How to grow and care for Phalaenopsis orchids and How to plant, grow and prune an orchid.

I'll also tag a couple of our experienced members, @Noelle and @Adam_W, to see whether they have any more specific advice.

Brad 

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @wendy22 

Your plant looks healthy enough but I am concerned about the apparent lack of drainage in the pink pot. These orchids are epiphytes - they grow naturally on trees, rocks etc with their roots exposed. This pot may be too deep and perhaps moist for the plant in the longer term. It is growing one long aerial root but it should have more than that.

If the bark it's in is too wet, then it won't be inclined to grow a flower spike. Brad has already linked you to two excellent guides about moth orchids which should set you on the right track.

The other essential is food - use a liquid orchid fertiliser every couple of weeks as per the label instructions to maintain health and vigour. Turn the pot through 90 degrees every week so all sides of the plant get plenty of indirect light and make sure it isn't sitting in a draught.

Thank you my plant is 1 yr old and yes flowered once.

Thanks heaps for the advice 

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

You're welcome @wendy22. We're happy to help.

Good luck getting your orchid to flower again, and please post a photo when it does!

Brad

robchin
Becoming a Leader

@BradN - Did you know that these are sometimes called Moth Orchids because the flowers look a bit like Moths? 

I was never able to get these to re-flower till I learnt this trick: Cut the flower stem back to just above the first node after the flowers have finished flowering and starting to wither and drop off - see picture below. Also - feel free to move it somewhere a bit cooler - till the flowering stems start to show again. 

robchin_1-1669869748939.png

BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @robchin. I did not know that's why they're called moth orchids, but it all makes perfect sense now!

That's a terrific photo showing the new growth coming out of the node beneath the cut. Did you take it yourself?

Let me tag @wendy22 so that she can see your photo and your advice.

Brad

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects