Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent Juniperus Spartan conifers from turning brown?

curo123
Growing in Experience

How to prevent Juniperus Spartan conifers from turning brown?

There are 20 Juniperus Spartan in a row beside the house. 15 have started turning brown from the bottom up. How can I help these trees?IMG_8971.JPG

IMG_8972.JPG

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to prevent Juniperus Spartan conifers from turning brown?

Hello @curo123,

Thanks for your question. Let me tag our garden experts @Noelle and @Adam_W for their thoughts on keeping those Juniperus Spartan conifers healthy.

In the meantime, you may also find some useful tips in this Bunnings guide on growing and caring for conifers: How To Grow And Care For Conifers

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @curo123 

Sadly, there is probably little you can do to rejuvenate or green up your Spartans that are turning brown.  Conifers produce new growth only from the tips of existing branches so once these are brown there is usually no coming back. The trees may continue to grow in height but there will be no replacement growth from low down where they have already browned off.

The cause may be a watering issue (too much or too little) but in my opinion it is far more likely to be disease. There are several viral and bacterial diseases that affect conifers, with most eventually being terminal. 

If the cause is disease, the most severely affected trees should be removed before it spreads to all of them, although it may already be too late.

I would enjoy them in the short term while they're still alive but be prepared to having to remove them all in due course.

Pruning off the brown portions will leave you with bare trunks which will look unsightly.

curo123
Growing in Experience

Thank you, Noelle.

curo123
Growing in Experience

How do I save my pencil pines ?

Hi there,

The pencil pines that we have on the side on the house have turned brown from the bottom to the middle of the tree. 

They are placed against a colorbond fence and are facing the house. Could the problem be the hot air escaping the air conditioner ? This has been on every day in Winter and Summer. If we move the air conditioning motor, what can we do to revive the pencil pines?

Thanks  

IMG_9808.JPGIMG_9809.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I save my pencil pines ?

Sorry to see your trees have not recovered @curo123. As @Noelle mentioned, it's likely due to disease. The hot air escaping from the air conditioner could be contributing to the situation, though it's likely a viral or bacterial disease that's the root cause.

Moving the air conditioner is not going to resolve the issue and the trees will continue their decline in health. If it was just the tree right next to the air conditioner dying, I think your theory could hold some weight, but it wouldn't be affecting the tree several meters away.

All this undergrowth is dead, so you might as well trim it all away and dispose of it. 

Sorry, we couldn't be of more assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects