Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent tomato blossom end rot

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to prevent tomato blossom end rot

EC3A3346-0EE5-4A63-BC11-D1581310A18D.jpeg

Good afternoon Workshop Community friends !!!! Here’s a friendly reminder when planting Tomatoes. Make sure you add Dolomite Lime to the soil / planting mix when you planted your Tomatoes. 
Tomato plants need Calcium to prevent Blossom End Rot, this is when the fruits are ripening and the bottom of the fruit is black and rotten. The fruits are ruined at this stage. 
I found one of our Mini Roma Tomato plant with it, so I have removed it and disposed it in the bin. 
I recently planted a new batch in another part or our garden and added Dolomite Lime to the soil. 

C5C32A91-1F9A-4834-A208-E115A6B41019.jpeg

05909CB6-30E6-4571-A7F2-BC33235F80F2.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to prevent tomato blossom end rot

Great advice, thanks for sharing @mich1972

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

E6831A2B-F24E-41C8-99AC-10D3C6E7BAD3.jpeg

76655EEA-167F-4D6C-A3EA-CA36A039E390.png

Morning everyone, just sharing with you all that not only can Tomatoes be affected by Blossom End Rot, but also Chilli’s and Capsicums as well.  When I planted all of my Chilli’s I added good big handfuls of Dolomite Lime to the soil. They need Calcium and Magnesium. Unfortunately I have missed this one plant. I have removed all of the fruits from this plant and added the Dolomite lime to the soil. Fingers crossed it should be ok for the new flowers and fruits to form. The plant itself is very healthy. 
As Gardeners these things happen to us all and we learn from our mistakes. It also shows us that it all starts with our Soils and how we build them up. I just wanted to share with you incase you see this happening on your own Edibles 😊

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mich1972

Thank you very much for that update on soil health. It's good to know that these things are not always caused by insect or fungal attacks. Sometimes a mineral is actually missing from the soil causing it to have an effect on the plant. It's just so important to have the nutrients in the soil well-balanced for a good harvest.

looking forward to your next update.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects