Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prune a Lilly Pilly?

nic188
Just Starting Out

How to prune a Lilly Pilly?

IMG_9611.jpeg

IMG_9609.jpeg

IMG_9610.jpeg

  

After some advice on pruning my lily pilly trees. I’ve given them a harsh and tip prune over the months to create a bushier hedge look but find the middle of the trees have gaps, any advice on this or will it eventually all fill out? Also they are covered of fruit which we have no use for, could this be taking away energy from new growth occurring? The smaller trees I believe struggle due to drainage issues from clay soil which I’ve used liquid clay breaker on and recently started using a soil wetter

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prune a Lilly Pilly?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nic188. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about lilly pilly care.

If the growing conditions are suitable, then by controlling upward growth, the plant will grow outwards. Once it reaches the desired width, I'd recommend gentle tip pruning of the outward growth to encourage back budding and new branches to form closer to the trunk. This back budding is what will fill out the centre of the tree. Without it, you just end up with a wide and lanky-looking plant.

As for the fruit, it is unlikely that it is taking away too much energy from the new growth. However, you can remove the fruit since you don't have a use for it, as this can help redirect the tree's energy towards new growth. If you harvest all the fruit from the plants, you likely have enough to make a lovely jam.

I'd potentially hold off on adding any more soil wetter to the soil. Soil wetters allow water to penetrate the soil; in your case, it sounds like that would exacerbate the water-logged soil. 

If these two plants have their roots sitting on a clay base and they're water-logged, then it might be a case that they will also struggle. You could consider adding drainage to the area to try and take away excess water in rain events. Here's a useful step-by-step guide: How to install garden drainage.

Here's another excellent article on How to grow and care for lilly pilly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
robchin
Becoming a Leader

Some good advice there from @MitchellMc for you @nic188. Nothing to add there. 

But I wonder if you have ever tried making Lily Pilly Jam? Lily Pilly is a traditional bush tucker plant for many of our first nations mobs. Blue Lilly Pilly - Syzygium oleosum - Tucker Bush

I have a fond memory of my grandmother making it, didn't like it much as a kid but had some more recently and I did like it. 

Also, a good idea to not leave the fruit on the ground, depending on where you are it can attract insects like fruitfly. 

IMG_9630.jpeg

Thank you so much for your response. My trees are nowhere near their desired width as would like them to one day hedge however I have been pruning back, top and front growth to hopefully promote width growth and trying to create a bushier look so also pruning width to achieve that. Should I tip prune the holes to hopefully stimulate growth? The clay is worse in a different section of the garden yet the lily pily trees are thriving compared to the trees in the less impacted clay soil, I’ll post a photo below of the thriving trees in the beach clay area. I also noticed the thriving trees new growth has folded leaves, any ideas what this could mean? I’ll also post a photo of that too 

IMG_9608.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd work on trying to resolve the issue that is causing the sparse growth rather than trying to force growth through pruning @nic188. The plants will always be sickly if you don't resolve the underlying issue. 

Have you fertilised at all recently? Curling leaves may also be a sign of nutrient deficiency. However, I wouldn't be particularly concerned if the leaves are unfurling as the tree otherwise looks quite healthy.

Curling new growth can be a sign of pest or disease infestation. Check the leaves closely for any signs of pests such as aphids, spider mites, or scales. They can also indicate that the plant is not receiving enough water or is being overwatered. Ensure you are correctly watering your Lilly Pilly, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between watering sessions. As mentioned previously, excess water sitting on a clay layer might need to be removed via drainage.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects