Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove weeds from a vegie patch?

Richenda
Just Starting Out

How to remove weeds from a vegie patch?

We have moved into a house with a established veggie patch, it is currently full of weeds would it be best to poison them or persevere in digging them up?

Upcycler01
Having an Impact

Re: How to remove weeds from a vegie patch?

I don’t use pesticides on my veggie garden at work that I take care off. Quite often the seeds get blown in so it becomes a never ending battle of getting rid of weeds, I’ve learnt the embrace them as part of the garden. I do hoe the weeds out as best I can & cover with dampened newspaper or pea mulch to suppress the weeds once you’ve planted the veggies. 

Grub80
Making a Splash

Hi @Richenda One of the best ways to kill weeds without invasive sprays, is to use a tarp or black plastic, cover the veggie patch, and let the sun do its magic and kill the weeds with the heat generated. It’s not instant but does work. If you are short of time, there are more better products on the market that Are better for the environment and your soil. Have. Look around. Good luck with your garden, growing your own veggies is very rewarding 👍

Thankyou

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Richenda. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing weeds in a veggie patch.

No selective weeder sprays will work effectively in your veggie patch, so this sounds like a hand weeding situation. It is great to see that @Upcycler01 and @Grub80 have already provided some great advice, and I'd certainly recommend considering those options. The only other method I could suggest would be a Zero herbicide applicator wand and Yates 1L 490g/L Zero Weed Killer Super Concentrate. The wand allows you to paint the weeds and not get the poison on your vegetables.

Personally, if it was my garden and it is established with plants currently growing, I'd spend the time and hand weed it.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects