Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat borers in my apricot tree?

TassieWren
Growing in Experience

How to treat borers in my apricot tree?

Afternoon,

I have an incredible old fashioned Moorpark apricot in the backyard, inherited with the purchase of our house. Recently I noticed ants on the branches and, on better inspection, 'wood dust' on the trunk.

In my gardening group, it has been suggested to use ant dust and plug the areas with vaseline, but I'm not too sure. Is there an alternative that I should be seeking? I don't think the ants are the true issue, they are just opportunistic.

Borer holes in the trunkBorer holes in the trunk

Tree is leafing alright, but fruit is starting to fall early. Cat did not fall from tree.Tree is leafing alright, but fruit is starting to fall early. Cat did not fall from tree.

Thanks in advance,

TassieWren

Re: Borers in my apricot tree

As I'm unfamiliar with the copper nail method @TassieWren, hopefully, @Noelle or @Jewelleryrescue might be able to provide their thoughts.

It's great to hear that the situation appears to be improving.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @TassieWren  and All  Cute Cat by the way wanting your attention under the tree.

According to the wives tale small nail would typically go in the lower main trunk 1/2  of the way in so you can find it to pull it  at need. Nail depth  equals dosage rate. Find  a healthy bark area  not scared as  during the day and night the tree exchanges vitals  between roots and the leaves via its sap dissolving small amounts of copper on the way. It is  possible to over do it and put a large 30mm nail  all the way in. Think of it as medicine a little is enough to much  can hurt.  The  same as water for plants too little or too much can kill or save a tree. So watch your tree s for positive health  take nail out if it is being hurt.

I am happy to be contradicted by some one with  more tree / copper nail knowledge here.  I  went to the internet and there is no  credible evidence to support a copper nail helping a tree or hurting the  tree.  But they are  not including there observations looking at positive or effects against the pests and  diseases of the tree which is what the  nail is for.  If  we take a  worm tablet  a doctor wont see any changes in the person (ie the tree directly) but the worms will be gone.  

Well quite the conundrum.  @TassieWren  maybe able to help test in real life scenario.

Hi all (@Noelle@Jewelleryrescue@MitchellMc@Jason@KatieC),

In an interesting turn of events, the problem area of the apricot tree seems to be 'clear and clean' since spraying, however, a new problem has appeared 😭

What on earth do you think has happened to this section? It's only one centre branch, but I'm worried of it spreading.Clean and clear nowClean and clear now324803834_1608503712919918_4104300897783386996_n.jpgNot sure what is happening here!Not sure what is happening here!

Hi @TassieWren 

I am not a  orchard type  person so Listen to other with more direct knowledge. By grand father was an apple grower Victoria time like these i wish i listened more as a kid.

1 First trim that effected  brand out to help prevent spread. It is not known to me why one branch has done this.  Did you use copper nail? if this happens again pull nail out just in case and monitor.

2 Typically some fruit trees are pruned to an open vase shape to allow light to reach more of the leaves any how and it makes picking easier.

3 Limiting the quantity of  fruit might improve the quality of the remaining fruit.

Hi @TassieWren,

I suspect that there's likely an issue going on with that larger central branch. Do all of those sickly-looking branches stem from it? Perhaps there is die-back in that larger branch or borers?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc and @Jewelleryrescue 

We'll be cutting out the piece that is dying off over the weekend.

I think the larger central branch you're referring to, with the borer holes, is actually the trunk. All that damage is approximately 30cm from the base of the tree.

I checked in with my parents, who have a little bit of stone fruit tree knowledge. To them, it sounds like our dear tree has developed Gummosis (bacterial canker). From research online, https://www.baag.com.au/gummosis/, it sounds like this is a disease common on mainland Aus and has found its way to Tasmania. Causes can be borers (identified), heavy pruning (had been done previous end of summer), and stress. It will eventually kill the tree, nothing can be done.

I'm going to try and enjoy my tree as much as I can before I must get rid of her completely. I'm hoping I can get another one or two seasons out of her.

Thanks for the advise, it has all been very helpful.

TassieWren

Hi @TassieWren 

Try to think  positive  i just  pruned  back some dead branches on a  rose bush .  Hit it with gogo juice( a soil prebiotic) some rose fertilizer some seasoil  plus (plant tonix)and the rode took off  with a new flush of  growth.

I cross fingers  for you  tree.  Give it  good stuff as a thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects