Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Phalaenopsis Orchid Care - Melbourne

PocketRocket
Getting Established

Phalaenopsis Orchid Care - Melbourne

Hi all, 

I've had so much trouble with Phalaenopsis Orchids and their upkeep for the past year. I live in Melbourne and it's considerably colder than the more humid states such as QLD or even NSW. 

Living in such a cooler climate, I was told to remove the sphagnum moss that majority of orchids are packed in from Thailand. I replanted my orchids in Orchiata bark but since they stopped flowering after Summer 2015 (and having pruned the stems) they've stopped growing entirely (and also have gnats?!). 

I'd love to hear of any suggestions for Orchid upkeep in areas of cooler climates.

Re: Phalaenopsis Orchid Care - Melbourne

Hello @Rach23 

I can't help but feel half of the issues folks have with Phalaenopsis Orchid is the medium they come in.  I had PO for years before doing some research on the PO.  Then I got brave and re-potted all of my PO's into a nice Orchid bark mix.  Partly made up and partly purchased bag of Orchid bark.  I keep ALL of my Phalaenopsis Orchid on a tray of pebbles which is watered till the water comes through as they seem to love a really good drenching once a week in the warmer months.  BUT ensure you leave them to drain after giving them a really good water.  After they have drained I put them on the the tray of pebbles which is full of water. NOT enough water that the bottom of the pot is soaking in it.  Just enough so it creates it's own humidity/environment. I also keep min Phalaenopsis Orchid in a very bright sunny spot without direct sunlight as they will burn.  

Prior to doing that my PO's never flowered after the initial flowers that came on them died off.  I moved house and had a brighter spot to keep mine in and WOW the difference it made.  I went from NO flowers to Flowering most of the year.

The only different things were:

Good watering & draining Loads of sunlight, Potting them into a different soil (bark Orchid mix) medium and regular fertilising.  And my biggest game changer keeping my Phalaenopsis Orchid on a plant saucer filled with pebbles and water.  I also use rain water, but that is not a major deal if you leave your town water in a bucket for a few days most of the chemicals will have dissipated and much the same as rain water.. 

Good luck

This old gal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects