Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are my tomatoes flowering but not producing fruit?

Woodflower71
Getting Established

Why are my tomatoes flowering but not producing fruit?

Hi All, do love this site…I’m wondering if anyone can tell me why my tomatoes a flowering but not prolific and

75E8C606-D8FB-4491-AF15-3108396E5D01.jpeg

745FF8AD-5D35-4F27-80B7-AD3D079ACF8A.jpeg

  

not fruiting well at all… Ph comes up as being slightly alkaline so ive used blood and bone to boost the soil and recently applied  Yates liquid sulphur…not much difference after a week…

bit lost about what to do next…

soil was prepared with mix of home made organic soil and brought in ‘organic’ soil and sheep’s manure…living on coast in Rockingham WA soil is sandy but I’m working on building it up….been here one year…

thanks for reading

Happy New Year

Louise

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are my tomatoes flowering but not producing fruit🙃

Hi Louise @Woodflower71,

The first thing I notice is the curled leaves. There could be a few reasons for this, and the most common is high temperatures. However, your plants don't look dried out, so I suspect it's from over-watering. Obviously, you've had some rain / just watered when the photos were taken, but does this area dry out or stay continuously wet? I would have thought with your sandy soil it would be fairly well-draining. If the plants are staying too wet, it could cause the fruit not setting.

My tomatoes plants have only really started flowering profusely in the last week or so. Perhaps yours will soon follow.

Let me mention one of our knowledgeable horticulturists @Noelle, to see if she has any thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why are my tomatoes flowering but not producing fruit?

Hi @Woodflower71,

In addition to Mitch's excellent advice, just thought I'd recommend you check out How to grow tomatoes by @Adam_W as his posts contain loads of helpful advice for ensuring your tomatoes thrive this summer.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Why are my tomatoes flowering but not producing fruit🙃

Hi @Woodflower71 

Mitchell has given you a few good clues and Adam's posts are full of great advice. Lack of pollinating insects may also be partly responsible - my own plants are flowering well but there are few bees and other pollinators around at present in my garden so many are not developing into fruits. Try some hand pollinating using a fine artist's paint brush - remove pollen from one flower and dab it into another.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects