Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why are some of my rose bushes dying?

Narla
Building a Reputation

Why are some of my rose bushes dying?

Morning all. I have 8 rose bushes in my front garden which were planted 9 yrs ago. In the last couple of months 2 of them have died. They are next to each other so wondering if it’s something to do with soil as others are still ok? I have purchased two more from Bunnings but want to make sure they don’t suffer the same fate! Do I need to find out what killed the old ones first to make sure I buy the right product to correct the soil or is a good rose food enough? If so what would you recommend?Thanks very much ( Photo of healthy one)

IMG_4843.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why are some of my rose bushes dying?

Hi @Narla,

The lack of fine feeder roots is a bit suspicious and could be associated with the issue you've experienced.

Roses require loose, well-draining soil to foster the development of robust and healthy root systems. Given their substantial nutrient requirements, it's advisable to incorporate aged compost into the soil before planting your roses. You can safeguard the roots by applying a generous layer of compost around each plant. This serves the purpose of insulating the roots against extreme temperatures and minimises weed growth.

Have you increased your watering regime since adding the other plants to the garden bed? I suspect that the soil could be holding too much water, and the feeders have died off due to this.

I'd been keen to hear @Noelle's thoughts now that we can see the lack of fine feeder roots on the plant.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Why are some of my rose bushes dying?

Hi @Narla 

I would agree with @mich1972 's diagnosis. I doubt it is the result of any weedkiller being used by neighbours (that would not affect the roots in that manner).

@MitchellMc 's advice re the soil, feeding and watering is on the money. Even though only  couple of plants have been affected, the soil quality can vary considerably across a garden bed.  A mulch of well composted organic material over the roots (keep it clear of the trunks of the roses), an application of slow release rose food and regular deep watering over the coming weeks should give them all a good chance of survival.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects