Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why has my Lilly pilly lost its vibrant colour?

acicco
Getting Established

Why has my Lilly pilly lost its vibrant colour?

IMG_8821.jpeg

72100086882__77C008D8-633C-44E0-9CB7-0D9350D4B953.jpeg

IMG_8820.jpeg

Hi we have a Lilly pilly screening hedge that has been well for quite some time but recently it has lost its vibrant colour and has instead turned a very dull green, almost a matte like finish with some white chalkiness, appearing somewhat unhealthy. There’s some very small pockets of more vibrant healthy fresher leaves but few and far between. I couldn’t find any relevant Lilly pilly diseases through Google search that describe this issue to help with a resolution. I may be missing something very obvious though. I’ve added photos for reference but it may be a little hard to depict the exact colouration issues. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance. Alex

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lilly pilly problem

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @acicco. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Lilly Pilly care.

That could potentially be a case of powdery mildew. If you moisten your finger, can the white coating be wiped off the leaf? 

Let me mention a couple of our profoundly knowledgeable members, @Noelle and @mich1972, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @acicco 

If, as Mitchell suspects, the whitish deposit can be wiped off with your finger, then the problem is likely to be a mildew. In that case a general garden fungicide applied as directed on the label should fix the problem.

To avoid recurrences, keep water off the foliage (except when it rains) and water early in the day rather than the evening so the air around the hedge is not too humid.

acicco
Getting Established

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help so far. Unfortunately it appears that the white is not able to be wiped off. It still appears exactly the same pre and post wiping. It is almost embedded within the leaf colouration as such. Hopefully an additional photo can help capture this

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@Noelle looks like Spider Mites damage, silvery in colour. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noelle 

It looks like several things are attacking the plant from my observation. It looks like Psyllids due to the pimple formation on the leaves, caterpillars or a leaf chewing pest as seen from the chewing patterns and possibly white scale due to the white waxy coat on the leaves. What do you think?

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Yes, @mich1972  and @EricL , the second batch of photos clarifies the problems on the leaves considerably and it looks like a combo of insect pests. I'd suggest Yates Baythroid

This will control those pests mentioned.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @acicco 

Just letting you know that our plant guru @Noelle has suggested using Yates 50ml Baythroid Advanced Insect Killer For Gardens to manage the insect infestation.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as a disposable cover all, gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when using the insecticide. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions printed at the back of the box.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

acicco
Getting Established

Thanks so much for everyone’s input. I will give the suggestions a go and report back at some stage as required. Really appreciate the assistance thanks again 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @acicco 

Please keep us updated and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other queries.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects