Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are these two paints the same colour?

MitchDonlan
Just Starting Out

Are these two paints the same colour?

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could help with some paint. I’ve had to plaster a hole and we don’t have the old wall paint but we have the label and went into Bunnings to get more paint. Could someone tell me if these are the same? (Ones a 15L mix and this ones a 500ml mix).

2EAC6594-7166-40EB-9F60-F0804172E03D.jpeg

C8E9E42C-1C2D-4804-85E2-C8D59193C6EA.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Are these two paints the same colour?

Hi @MitchDonlan,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us. Please feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a project to share with other members.

Was there a reason you are concerned that the Paint Desk at your local Bunnings store was not able to match the paint? It seems like both paints are marked Ornamental Pearl but one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will be happy to confirm for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Are these two paints the same colour?

Hi Jason,

I am concerned that this paint is too bright and that the added colours (E, GG, M as shown on the labels) are out slightly. Does this make sense?

The old one was 7.5,7.5, 26.25, the new pot is 0.25,0.25, 0.875.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint dilemma

Hi @MitchDonlan,

Both formulas have the correct tints: EE, G, M. Your 0.5-litre tin is 30 times smaller than the 15-litre tin. The tint quantities are 30 times smaller than the original amounts, so everything checks out to me. As an examples the ocre (EE), in the 15-litre tin was 7.50, divided by 30 is 0.25 as seen on the new tin.

Depending on how long ago the original paint was applied, it has likely soiled and become darker, and the new paint will be more vivid. If the paint is just nothing like the original, there could have been an error in tinting, but the formulations are correct.

Can you apply some and show us the difference once it has fully dried?

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects