Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Do I need to repair gap in bricks before repairing the plaster?

kellystaker
Finding My Feet

Do I need to repair gap in bricks before repairing the plaster?

Hi, I have removed an old cupboard in our 1930’s house and found this very large crack. It is a double brick house and the other side of the wall has no damage so I think the crack only impacts one side of the wall. I will be replacing the cupboard with a new one so will not see it long term but would like to repair the wall before installing the new cupboard. Can you advise if I need to fix the brick mortar and plaster or just the plaster. Thanks!!

53B0CE19-67D5-4027-BCDC-3C5C0A2ADC88.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Do I need to repair gap in bricks before repairing the plaster?

Hello @kellystaker 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing a gap in your brick wall.

That looks like a very serious crack in your wall, however, if it only travels on the render of the wall, it can be repaired. I suggest using Sika 1L High Strength Epoxy Repair Adhesive Concrete Fix Kit. Make sure to read the mixing instructions to get the right balance and use a Craftright 150mm Pointing Trowel in order to push the adhesive deep into the crack of the wall.

Please make sure to give the adhesive enough time to cure properly before covering the area with your cabinet.

I strongly advise wearing personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when working with the adhesive kit.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Do I need to repair gap in bricks before repairing the plaster?

Thanks Eric, I have picked up all the stuff you recommended and will give it a crack next week!

Thanks again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects