Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do you open this double-glazed window panel?

anamunozff
Finding My Feet

How do you open this double-glazed window panel?

How do you open this double-glazed window panel? What are the red things called, and what is their function?
I opened the panel by the yellow handles and pulled it towards me. The panel just hung and was a bit heavy. I was afraid to break it, so I put it back in place. Could someone please tell me how to open it to access the actual window and open it (green)?

IMG_1588 2.jpg

Thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do you open this double-glazed window panel?

Hi @anamunozff,

I would expect you to simply be able to unlock the window with the key and use the winder to open the window - both circled in green. 

Could you please take a closer shot of what you have marked in red - I would have expected they would be something to do with blinds or curtains?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Jason! I do know how to open the window; the thing is, the double-gazed (or whatever is called, hehe) panel is in the way. 

Here is the red circle element; it is attached to the panel. So, no curtains. 

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

  

IMG_1589.JPG

 Thanks for your help! :smile:

Hi @anamunozff,

It appears that this second glazing panel has been retrofitted over the existing window enclosing the winding mechanism. Given that there is now glazing over the window's interior, it somewhat defeats the use of the winder to open the window. Why did you need to access the winder as opening the windows seems somewhat redundant if the interior glass panel is in place? Since there's no real reason to open the window, apart from periodic cleaning, perhaps this secondary glazing was installed without easy access to the window winder. When you say you opened the panel by the yellow handles and pulled it towards you, did that allow access to the winder or for cleaning?

The only thing I can think of for the red-circled elements is that they have something to do with the track they are on. It is likely a remnant of a cord mechanism for blinds that have been removed. Are there two of them in front of every panel, or are these the only two for the bank of windows?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects