Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to securely install a safe?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

How to securely install a safe?

I recently got a safe after realizing that the contents insurance has a lot of ifs and buts making it very tough to make a claim. It can be mounted on the floor with a provided bolt or wooden bolt. I live in a double storey built 15 years ago. What is the best way to mount this to the carpet floor in the first level? What would typically be below carpet? How can I find a stud and avoid electric wires? Should I pre drill? What are the measures I can take to mount this strong and secure?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Secure install a safe

Hi @jaiprak,

Is the building elevated, or does it have a crawl space beneath it? If your first floor is at ground level, then the most likely situation is that there is a concrete slab under the carpet. If the building is elevated, you'll have joists and particleboard flooring under the carpet. Is there a closet where you can pull the carpet back from the skirting to inspect under it? 

To avoid electric wires and metal pipes, you'd need a scanner suitable for concrete. This type of scanner will also work with timber floors. If it is a concrete floor, you'll look for a location that does not have power or pipes running through it and drill into it with a masonry hammer drill. You can then use Dynabolts to secure the safe to the floor. For a timber floor, you'll need to look for the joists and fix the safe into those with the provided wood screws. Pre-drilling is likely a good idea to avoid splitting the timber joists.

Remember your PPE when drilling into substrates, including safety glasses and a face mask.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I think I misconveyed the floors. It is the top floor (second level) and the house doesn’t have crawl space.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's all good, @jaiprak.

The floor is most likely particle board sheets over timber joists. However, there is a chance that it could be concrete, but I find that unlikely.

Mitchell

I think it could be timber becos i hear floor, wall squeak when i walk in the morning. What is the best way to confirm? Rip the carpet at the end and check? If it is timber how to find the joist? Can you recommend any scanner (the earlier doenst seem to work). I have a basic stud finder with me.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

A basic stud finder should work for detecting joists through carpet and structural flooring @jaiprak. In saying that, I think you'll find that if you screwed into the timber flooring, removing the safe would be very difficult. Certainly, more effort would be involved than what I'd presume an opportunistic thief would be willing to put in. 

Try tapping a nail into the floor. If you are able to drive it in, the floor is timber and not concrete. Also, if the floor were concrete, you wouldn't hear any squeaks.

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc. Appreciate all your input. Will try this and let you know.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @jaiprak and please reach out again if you get stuck.

Mitchell

@MitchellMc - finally got the courage to poke a hole in the carpet today. After poking a hollow hole got further courage to rip open the carpet (stud finder wouldn’t work on top of carpet) and used stud finder to find the stud and installed it. Thanks for the guidance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jaiprak 

I'm sure @MitchellMc will be happy to know that you've managed to anchor your safe safely! If you have any other projects lined up and have questions about them, please don't hesitate to post your query. We'll be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects