Workshop
Ask a question

How to close gap between pergola and gutter?

jimmyr999
Just Starting Out

How to close gap between pergola and gutter?

IMG_8762.jpeg

IMG_8763.jpeg

  

Hi team,

First time poster here.

I have this small gap between the house’s gutter system and pergola. Rain has been pouring through the gap and I want to seal it off. I am looking for a quick and efficient way to seal it off.

The gap is about 50-100mm.

Option 1: install gutter for pergola and direct rain flow into house gutter.

Option 2: install a flashing of some sort, however I have not seen any flashing that is big enough for it. (Correct me if I am wrong) 

Thank you for the help :laugh:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to close gap between pergola and gutter?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jimmyr999. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about bridging a gap.

I think the simplest solution would be to install a flashing onto the underside of the roof of the pergola that's wide enough to bridge the gap. Looking at what's available, I'd be inclined to think the Apron Flashing 2400mm 0.55mm BMT Colorbond steel Surfmist would do the job. It's 200mm wide, which will give you plenty of surface area to attach via pop-rivets whilst also being wider than the gap. There is that little upturned lip, but that could be easily flattened out with pliers or might compress out whilst pop-riveting. The idea would be that it extends out 150mm (minus the 50mm for fixing), and the other angled side drops down into the gutter. I've added an image to better depict the arrangement.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to close gap between pergola and gutter?

Afternoon @jimmyr999 

I went looking for a piece of flashing and didnt find anything long enough and then saw @MitchellMc 's response :smile: lol I should have scrolled!

The only thing I would add is to keep an eye on the gutters as you are adding a resonable surface area feeding into the existing ones, you may need an extra downpipe plumbed in.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects