Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to disconnect glued cinder blocks?

AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

How to disconnect glued cinder blocks?

Hi all

Last year I connected a few cinderblocks on top of each other using landscaping glue to be used for on part of my bench. 

I'd like to separate them now to use them for my backyard new project.

Is there a way to disconnect these without causing any damage?

1000013841.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: how to disconnect glued cinderblocks

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

I would use a  wide wood chisel to get in between the gaps and gently tap the  chisel in  creating a 1mm space I would  use an old or cheap carpenters  flat saw the long one.  and  slot it in and gently saw the glue as the glue  gives way use a timber wedge to open gap more until the brick is  freee,

There is always the risk the brick  breaks but they are inexpensive any way

Have  fun.

Thanks for the idea!

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

In addition you night have limited  space and angles to use a full saw so a  panel saw might siut your purpose better given some of the bricks migth be had to access.

The trick is to un do one at a time giving more saw blade access to the next brick and the same treatment between the brick joins.

You  have 10 bricks up there  worth $3.50ea approx $35 total  maybe sensable to  not care if they break or is it worth trashing a saw blade?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AJ-DIYer 

I also suggest looking at using a Trojan 300mm Mini Hack Saw as a possible option in cutting the adhesive between the cinderblocks. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AJ-DIYer
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL and @Jewelleryrescue for the great suggestions. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects