Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match old and new decking boards?

SashaSands
Just Starting Out

How to match old and new decking boards?

Could anyone please recommend the best way to make the new and old decking match. Will a stain do it or does it have to be paint ? I should add the bottom half is new decking which is 6 weeks old and the top is old decking with worn off paint on it .IMG_7217.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Matching old and new decking

Hello @SashaSands 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about your decking panels.

In order to give your decking a very close even finish, I propose cleaning the deck with Intergrain 4L UltraPrep Timber Cleaner in combination with a scrub brush. The purpose of the wash is to remove all the oil and grease deposits that could have embedded themselves on the decking panel's surface. 

Once you've given it a proper wash and the timber is totally dry, I suggest sanding the surface of the old decking boards. This will remove the old stain and varnish that is on it. It will also remove the grey dead timber fibres on top and reveal the original colour of the wood. You can also sand the new decking boards until they are close to the same finish as the old decking boards. 

When you've finished sanding all that's left to do is pick a stain and varnish that you prefer. The technique for a uniform finish is to get the timber to have a uniform finish first before you start painting it.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please keep in mind that your older decking panels might have a different absorption rate when compared to the new panels. There could possibly be a bit of a tonal difference, I suggest testing your oil or stain on a small portion of the old and new panels to see the effect that will come up. If it comes up too light and the difference is noticeable it might be necessary to go with a dark stain to hide the contrast.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @Remarka6le for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects