Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint glazed dark brown pots white?

Mary65
Just Starting Out

How to paint glazed dark brown pots white?

Hi I have 3 large dark brown glazed pots I’d like to paint them white .

I have white enamel spray paint could I use that ? 

I’ve just had my house painted and have a bit of external paint left over - aquanamel and weathershield would either of those by suitable to use on glazed pots? 

I’d appreciate any advice 

thanks 

Mary 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint glazed dark brown pots white?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mary65. It's splendid to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about painting glazed pots.

It is possible to paint a glazed ceramic pot, but it will require some special preparation to ensure that the paint adheres properly.

First, you will need to thoroughly clean the pot to remove any dirt, dust, or debris. Next, you will need to sand the surface of the glazed ceramic to create a rough surface that the paint can adhere to. You can use sandpaper or a sanding sponge to do this. 120-grit would be about right. Once the surface is roughened, you can apply a coat of primer formulated for ceramics. This will help the paint adhere properly and also prevent the paint from chipping or peeling. After the primer has dried, you can apply your chosen paint colour. Finally, once the paint has dried completely, you can apply a sealant to protect the painted surface and make it more durable. A clear acrylic sealant is a good choice for this purpose.

You could apply any paint directly to the glazed surface without preparation. It will likely work, but due to the limited adhesion, it will chip and scrape off extremely easily. You can either use the spray paint, Aquanamel or Weathershield over the ESP primer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects