Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from bricks?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to remove paint from bricks?

Hello All,

Can you please propose ways to remove paint from bricks (please refer to below image) and advice on a suitable brush for cleaning and removing dust from bricks.

nagumuthu_0-1675922516165.png

Thanks

MM

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Remove paint from Bricks

Hi @nagumuthu 

Is this paint that has been accidentally flicked onto the brick surface or is this a feature of the actual brick? If it is paint, I suggest using a Trojan 5x15 Row Stainless Steel Wire Brush to carefully clean off the paint. Just be aware that bricks have a porous surface and some spots will be difficult if not impossible to clean. You can also try washing it with detergent and water in combination with a Sabco Handled Scrub Brush. I don't recommend using chemicals or strippers as this will stain the surface of the brick.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @EricL

Tried to clean the paint on bricks with Trojan 5x15 Row Stainless Steel Wire Brush and it is not going off. The movement of the brush is quite hard, as the brick is porour and should be very careful as it moves on its surface and neighbouring brick mortar is to taken care off as well. Anyway this is ruled out now.

Tried using the detergent and water combined with a hard bristle plastic brush. I used below dish washing liquid with water, looking at its degreasing properties. Not sure whether it is the right fit for the purpose. The stain does not go either. This is ruled out. Unless it is said. No. It is not the detergent type suject to testing.

nagumuthu_0-1676683433174.png

The other options, I thought of is of rotary brush, where drill is used for brushing off the paint on the surface. Any comments on this for any recommendation of suitable rotatry brush. 

I understood thinner will remove the paint. Is it so, as I have not painted anything in full yet. I can do a pilot testing of its performance on a sample brick before trying out on actual brick.

Thanks

MM.

That's a bit of a tricky one @nagumuthu. If scrubbing doesn't work, you could try a little paint stripper, but given the brick is porous it will be hard to remove the paint from the micro crevices. Remember your PPE when using paint stripper, including gloves, a long-sleeved shirt and pants, enclosed footwear, a face mask and safety glasses. Also, do a test section in an inconspicuous area first to determine whether it discolours the bricks.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects