Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop gutter overflowing near pergola?

kaar
Finding My Feet

How to stop gutter overflowing near pergola?

During recent heavy downpour I saw water overflowing (or leaking) near our pergola gutter. We moved into this property few months back, so not sure if any issues that I need to get checked on the gutter. The overflow was so bad the water was splashing into the window (as you can see from first snap) through the external ceiling

There is a down pipe near one of the pergola corner, so I am not sure if there is any water flow capacity issues.

I did a general check on the gutter and do not see any blockages as such (no trees surrounding the property). I have attached snap on the water leak and the side of the gutter. Would like to get some advise on what could I check or whom to contact to get it checked, Thanks

leak1.JPG

Psnap3.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Gutter overflowing near pergola

Hi @kaar 

Sorry about your water leak.

During  a hugh  rain event many houses do not have  enough down pipes to cope  so your not alone and  may not require rectification if this is infrequent. as long as they dry out fully between event  to minimise  mold growth

First thing to do is get up on the guttering and make sure it is clean and not clogged up.

If  it is clean and flowing right you may need more down pipes to handle storm surges I am hoping your storm water pipe follows your external  wall to make this easy.  This will help stop gutters over  flowing and possible backing up it in to to your roof.

Depnding on where you live most cities  have deadicated gutter installers repairs,  But the plumber is your next best person to talk too.

Do you actually know   how the water in getting in side and you see and trace any water marks as  the gutter  flow and water leak maybe un realated. 

I have roof work too,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kaar. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about overflowing gutters.

Tracing roof leaks can be a difficult process. Were there high winds during this heavy downpour? If so, you might find that the wind was blowing the water up and under weatherstripping and the gutter, allowing it to find its way to your eaves. To determine how this water was getting there, you'd need to trace its route back to the roof. Could you tell whether the water was overflowing the gutter's front lip or being blown back up behind it?

You might like to place a garden hose into the gutter at the opposite end of the downpipe. Run it full blast for ten minutes and see if you can replicate the issue. If the gutter begins filling up, it's quite possibly a blocked downpipe. If everything looks in order and you can't reproduce the problem, as @Jewelleryrescue mentioned, this could be an infrequent event. You'd need to employ the services of a qualified roof drainage expert to assess the situation and track down the cause.

If you are to use a ladder to access the roof, please use extreme caution and check out this guide before doing so: How to use ladders safely.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you @Jewelleryrescue & @MitchellMc for your advice. Let me check on few things and get back if any help needed

Hi @kaar 

We just had  massive rain storm  and my gutters over flowed like a raging waterfall but not where i cleaned them I stopped short as  i have a lot to do.

I am not suggesting yours arnt  clean just a  practicable  observation at my  place.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects