Workshop
Ask a question

Can you paint over an old stained fence?

Randal
Finding My Feet

Can you paint over an old stained fence?

I have a boundary fence, 20 years old, pinewood, which I originally stained with a sage coloured fence paint. This has lasted well (Sydney climate) but where it was behind vines growing on lattice it deteriorated. I want to preserve the fence as it's still strong, but I can't find external wood stains that aren't black or brown. Can I paint over the stain with an external acrylic paint in the green shade I want. The quality of the finish is not important.

.fence clipped.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you paint over an old stained fence?

Hi @Randal,

Thank you for your question.

You can certainly paint over the stain with a few easy steps. I'd suggest lightly sanding the areas you wish to paint with 120 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper to prepare the area and remove any dirt or loose material. Once sanded, brush down the area to remove any dust and debris. Apply a primer such as Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 4L, then paint over with a suitable paint such as Dulux 4L Monument Low Sheen Weathershield Exterior Paint which can be tinted to Pale Sage.

You might like to consider painting the whole fence while you're at it, as the application of new paint to a single area may make it stand out from the rest.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Re: Can you paint over an old stained fence?

Hi Jacob

Thanks for your good suggestions.

I'd do this is it was for a front fence, for example, but it's an 8 metre long pinewood side fence, and I'm just looking to preserve it at this stage. The amount of work involved in sanding etc is not warranted as it's already damaged. I was just looking for a stain like before, but I can't find the quality of the one from 20 years ago. 

I'll probably go for the sage tinted Dulux like you suggested, and scrub the fence and then just slather the paint on. 

Waiting for a dry spell!

Regards

Randal

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects