Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY painted bathroom vanity handles

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

DIY painted bathroom vanity handles

I recently upcycled an old cabinet into a bathroom vanity and there are 6 small drawers on top. I had been looking for a cost-effective handle that worked with my aesthetic and didn't look cheap. 

The handles I had been looking at were $24.95 each and there was no way I planned to pay that. I have just renovated the bathroom so I was also pretty particular about the look and colour.

Handles BeforeHandles BeforeHandles AfterHandles After

So rather than spend a total of $147.70 I spent $11.25 and picked up a pack of 6 mushroom handles and painted them. This whole process took me 10 minutes plus drying time.

You can view it here

Happy DIY'ing 

Steps

Step 1

Step One: Lightly hand sand the handles

Step 2

2. Prime with Dulux Metalshield Primer IMG_D684B05211E0-1.jpeg

Step 3

Step 3: Apply 2 x coats of Dulux Metalshield Hammered Bronze

IMG_272383DC576D-1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY painted bathroom vanity handles

Hi @Renowayoflife 

Thank you very much for sharing your bathroom vanity handles. They look absolutely gorgeous and fits in beautifully with the cabinet. The best part is that you can easily recreate the effect with a bit of spray paint. Had you purchased actual hammer finished handles it would have cost you a bit of coin. I'm wondering if you can use this effect on more intricately shaped handles?

Again, thank you for sharing this wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Gorgeous job @Renowayoflife!

I would never have guessed those handles were black. Are you able to share a photo of the vanity in it's full glory?

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @EricL 

Yes I'm loving this colour and effect and howlight they are on my budget. I can't see why you couldn't do it on more intricate handles. I have made some larger handles to go on the bottom drawers of the cabinet and did notice a little dripping of the paint so I think the trick is to make sure you don't apply it too heavy and instead apply more, lighter coats.

Thanks @KatieC 

Such a simple update, it's great how paint can transform everything. I will be sharing the cabinet as it's now finished, I'm just finishing the bottom handles and will install them (hopefully) this evening so can share later this week. I can't lie, I'm absolutely loving how it turned out.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects