Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Different types of Arlec Smart Plugs

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Different types of Arlec Smart Plugs

Screenshot_20220906-160557.jpg

So some of you might have seen these little devices hanging on the shelves and wondered what they are, well in their simplest form they turn your non smart devices into smart devices. So what you say and what can that do for me? Well imagine being able to turn your lamps on with voice command of at scheduled times of the day including at morning for a wake up light. Being able to turn the outside entertainment lights on at scheduled times or having a plugin  shed light turned on before you get out there via your phone or voice command.

What if you have your iron plugged in and you leave the house and you are unsure if you turned it off simply open your phone and check the smart plug and if it's on no problem turn it off.

Screenshot_20220906-162159_Grid Connect.jpg

Now these smart plugs come in a few variations some with surge protection to protect your devices.

Screenshot_20220906-160609.jpg

Some with USB sockets.

Screenshot_20220906-160640.jpg

Weatherproof rated for your outdoor devices.

Screenshot_20220906-160734.jpg

And then ones with energy monitoring.

Screenshot_20220906-160552.jpg

Now the energy monitoring personally let's me down, I am used to using a power data logger that gives great detail on usage Now I didn't expect that gind of detail but the information given by these plugs isn't a enough to diagnose is a particular appliance is using lots of power in a chain of many.

If you were to watch the screen with the live reading then maybe but the recorded variables that are plotted on the graphs only give a peak per day which is not detailed enough.

Screenshot_20220906-164127_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220906-161434_Grid Connect.jpg

Compared to a power data logger.

Screenshot_20220906-165643_Chrome.jpg

Now the newest in the line is a temperature, humidity plug which is perfect for turning off and on portable heaters, air-conditioning and evaporation units. 

The interface will be similar to the temp humidity sensor as per below.

Screenshot_20220906-164711_Grid Connect.jpg

20220901_072743.jpg

20220901_072755.jpg

With the plugs the more variables you have the more options you have for automation Scenes as well where you can trigger commands off Voltage greater than 1V or 1Amp and so on.

So final say these little devices are great and have their place in the home automation world with plenty of options there is something for most scenarios.

Love to hear your thoughts below.

Carl 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Different types of Arlec Smart Plugs

Hi @CSParnell,

I thought I'd reach out to the Grid Connect oracle instead of using trial and error. I was thinking of using this Arlec Grid Connect Smart 5m LED White & Colour Changing Strip Light with Remote as backlighting for a computer monitor. It looks like it would work a treat. It appears I should be able to program the light to run when I have the computer on, which is typically 6 am - 12 pm, as it states you can "set your product to operate on your ideal schedule". That's acceptable, but I'd really like the lights to turn on when I power on the computer. Obviously, the monitor stays powered continuously in standby mode, though I wanted to know whether an Arlec White Grid Connect Smart Plug In Socket With Energy Meter could be used as a trigger device for the lights. Is there a function with the sockets that if I was to place it on the wall and then plug the computer into it when I turn the computer on (not the socket) and it draws current from through the socket, it turns the lights on?

I suspect the "if on, turn on" function is just if I turn the smart socket itself on, I can get the lights to turn on. However, I want a dumb system where I can turn the computer's power button on, and the lights also come on. Can the socket sense that the device plugged into it has been turned on by the current draw and trigger another smart device?

Any thoughts?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc thanks for reaching out.

What you are trying to achieve is totally acceptable and within the tolerance of the Grid Connect App.

First if you want your LEDs breathing colour change head to the LED icon and click on Theme  then change the first colour then click the next dot under the colour selector and choose your next colour continue until all selected.

Next click the 3 stars on the right hand side of the number 4 > 

Screenshot_20220911-164349_Grid Connect.jpg

Then on the next page click on Breath and select your speed then go back to the previous page and then back one more.

You should be on your main page now, make sure the LEDs and Smart plug are plugged in and connected.

Next click on scenes and triggers.

Add new scene and you are going to create the following as below for turning on the LED

Screenshot_20220911-164240_Grid Connect.jpg

If..Smart Plug Power greater than 1W 

Then... Turn on LED.

Name it and save it

Then create another one for turning off.

Screenshot_20220911-164331_Grid Connect.jpg

If..... Smart Plug Power equals 0W

Then ..... Turn off LED.

Because you have setup your LED light colour and them it will hold so you only need to switch on and off.

That should do it.

Carl 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@MitchellMc now theoretically you could use a double smart plug with energy meter and have the computer plugged in outlet let's say outlet  A turn on the LED outlet let's say outlet B much the same as the automation above but I can not find any information on any sites including Arlec to say that they are independently switched of each other and I only have a single outlet smart plug to play with.

If this was the case you could use non smart LEDs with remote.

Carl

Love your work @CSParnell! I'll pick them up and let you know how I go. 👍

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc  please do.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @CSParnell,

Can you control this sort of socket-outlet from an Android phone?

I'm quite intrigued about this, I've never really thought about it before.

Cheers,

Mike T.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @MikeTNZ you sure can as long as you keep power to the power plug then you can switch it on and off by any mobile device or voice command via Google Assistant 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects