Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

Hi all,

I thought it may he good to have a feed where we could share any tips and tricks to do with any of the Grid Connect Range being Arlec, Deta, Verve, Orion.

I am learning from trial and error and really just accident so sharing with others and sharing back we may be able to create some good learning information for us all.

Please post below starting with what the trick is as the title then how to do so as the body of information.

Carl 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Grid Connect, Tips, Tricks and Help - Please post and share

That was the plan make my life simple and save money. It's not a big issue during the day with 9.9kw of solar on the roof though I prefer the energy going into feed in tarrif but if it's on all night at the full 22c/kW that hurts.

Wait till what I have planned next!!!

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

How to group lights within Grid Connect...

So

I thought if wind it back a bit and explain how to group lights and devices together so you can control them as one.

First thing is to go to your room and click on the light 1 you want to group then the top right corner click the 3 dots. The next menu will have an option for group devices.

Screenshot_20220904-171926_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-171935_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Screenshot_20220904-171941_Grid Connect.jpg

Click on the Group Devices and then a list of all your devices will come up, find the other device you want in the group this could be 1 more or 10 more it's up to you.

Screenshot_20220904-171953_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-172010_Grid Connect.jpg

After clicking ok you will be asked to enter the Group Device Name.

Screenshot_20220904-172024_Grid Connect.jpg

Once back go to all devices page and find the light group and then click the 3 dots top right corner. From there click Group Position and then click the room you want it in.

Screenshot_20220904-172041_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-172100_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-172106_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-172111_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-172117_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Click save and you are done ✔️ 

You have now created a group and assigned it to a room.

Happy Automations Bunnings Peeps 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

I have had to make the following changes due to I was getting an error notification through still this is because when power was turned off to the power plug it freezes every output and nothing can be triggered from that point so adding a delay timer off the initial input that turns the automation off prior to 1hr and then another scene that is triggered off the same variable that turns back on the automation after 1hr let's the automation work but stops the error message if you turn off power prior to 1hr and then the automation is turned back ready for next use.

Screenshot_20220905-143158_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-143207_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-143215_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-143226_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-143236_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220905-143243_Grid Connect.jpg

  

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Grid Connect Official Website FAQS.

I was having a read of their site today and there is some good info on there. See below.

https://grid-connect.com.au/home-automation-faq/

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Tuya Light Sensor within Grid Connect App Platform.

Now I have mentioned in the past that the Grid Connect App is built on the Tuya Platform that is not current news it can be found by searching Google, the good thing with that is some Tuya products do work in the Grid Connect environment which ones is trial and error it is the same for Grid Connect products working in the Tuya App and Smart Life app.

A word of warning though if it's mains voltage products eg. 240V and it's not certified to local stands steer clear otherwise your risk your insurance wiping you if there is a fire as well as risk to personal.

Now that aside I've just received this awesome little light sensor something that is not available to Australia.

My main focus in my home automations is energy saving so I want to reduce power consumption and let my 9.9kw solar system feed back in as much as possible during the day.

Our kitchen is fairly dark and we were considering a solar powered alternate skylight for around $250 but instead I removed a 4 way bar light installed 2 extra downlights as smart lights and swapped one over to smart and positioned them in the dark spots, I then installed one of the Bluetooth motion detectors so that I can control when the lights come on but also how they react to the light sensor and also scheduled events during the day.

During the day the colour is set to DayLight up until 20.30 then it switches to Warm White and dims down for the nights, set times in the morning the lights are on full time so the sensor does not kick in and out and also at peak times at night, every other time it's sensor with on for 10min then another automation if no movement for 2min turn off.

But the light sensor during the day is my favourite.

So here it is below super simple.

Screenshot_20220921_150555.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150310_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Screenshot_20220921-150209_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150217_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150224_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150232_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150237_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-150245_Grid Connect.jpg

   

Screenshot_20220921-150250_Grid Connect.jpg

  

20220921_113453.jpg

If you would like to replicate my complete Kitchen setup including Pantry light automation let me know and I will post.

As always Happy Automations Bunnings Peeps 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Arlec Grid Connect GU10 Bulbs - removal of timer function.

Well Arlec has gone and done it again in their latest update and removed another feature that in my opinion was beneficial over having to carry out another method or 2 step automation and I will explain why below.

I did contact Arlec Tech Support and received the following "

Thank you for your email. 

The app automation section has been updated to obtain better functionality with automations. 

However, we will pass on your feedback further to relevant team. 

Please let us know if you require any assistance in creating desired automation. 

Please feel free to contact us if you need anything further."

So the timer function over the delay function with a motion detector works much better as it doesn't flash off then on again at the end of the desired time for the reason you don't need to put the globes or lights "Off" in the "If" statement of the argument like below.

Screenshot_20221003-124220_Grid Connect.jpg

As you can see there is no "Off" function at all the end of timer knows to switch off if no other motion is detected.

With a delay function you require a "Off" statement in the "IF" argument and also after the delay so after the delay has timed out it will turn off for around 2 sec then the motion will retrigger.

Arlec has send me a so called better automation for this argument in the past the results can be seen here with their automation being the one not responding in which by the response was I was trying to achieve outcomes beyond the scope of the products.

https://youtu.be/kkBIZH56wKQ

Ok so all that aside and how is the best way moving forward 😌 

We simply create another automation that says if no detection has happened within a set time then tun off the said globes or lights, this way there is no flicker they are on until someone has left the room then after say 1min they turn off as per below.

Screenshot_20221004_223036.jpg

Screenshot_20221004_223048.jpg

So you can set up that globe/light to do what ever you want over a 24/7 period but the off function can be the same.

The other thing I will.be trying is Mirabella Genio GU10 globes as see if the have the timer function still as they can be used within Grid Connect App as with any Genio hardware.

Happy Automations Peeps

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Major delays last night in triggering across all cloud base devices.

Just to let you know there seems to be a major cloud base server issue last night 24th Oct 2022 where extreme lag to trigger all devices.

It has resolved itself this morning though, remember most devices in that situation cab be used as standard devices like lights by switching off for 2sec then back on.

sam00
Getting Established

Thank you @CSParnell this has come very useful. Question when I trigger to open the garage door manually via the google home app under devices it still asks for a pin even though I have turned it off for voice command within the Grid Connect app, any ideas?

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @sam00,

I would say its to do with the scripting behind the connection between the 2 apps where when there is voice command through Google or Alexa it requires a password but unselected the password still remains so it is looking for it.

I did work out a work around for avoiding a password through google voice at once stage using triggers within Grid Connect to open and close the garage door and then assigning voice commands to those triggers in Google to activate those triggers which bypassed the pin number.

Other option is simply save the Grid Connect Garage Door Opener Icon to your home page of your phone for quick access and just use that no pin required.

Screenshot_20230118_142701_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230118_143932_Grid Connect.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sam00

I hope @CSParnell's suggestions sorted out your PIN problems. If you run into any other issues, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects