Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix damaged plasterboard?

Kyz
Just Starting Out

How to fix damaged plasterboard?

Hello! Im a total novice on home repairs but am smart and capable once I know the how and why’s! We had water damage to a skirting board that was later removed which ripped the paint from the wall and took the white top plasterboard layer off with it in areas, exposing the brown paper layer. I’ve read I need to scrape back any remaining loose paint, lightly sand the area, then use zinsser BIN primer sealer stain killer (shellac formula), lightly sand, then I can paint the wall colour back on. Can you tell me how this primer works in regards to paper layer and why can’t I use a filler over the paper, also, won’t there be a divet left behind if I don’t ‘fill’? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

06BFAFE4-10B2-483E-A504-E1ACB66F5AC9.jpeg

D3AF67BE-DBC0-4539-A52A-CE7C3CE3B30D.jpeg

6DE0D7F5-983B-499C-B64C-34C876A38E09.jpeg

FEF12FD1-AED9-45FD-B740-205FAEAD3E47.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: sealing paper layer in plasterboard

Hello @Kyz 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about fixing damaged plasterboard.

I suggest having a quick look at our best advice - What is the best way to repair a hole in the wall? The techniques used are applicable to the damage on your wall. Generally, in order to repair the damage, all the loose and damaged plaster board paper must be sanded off. You want a nice smooth finish with nothing sticking up.

Once the surface is nice and flat, you can now apply filler on the damaged spots of your wall. I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler - 500g in combination with a Craftright 50mm Joint Knife. Your goal is to fill the gap as close as possible to the original level of the wall. This will save you from having to sand all the extra filler that you've put on.

Wipe the wall clean and you can then begin painting the damage. Now for a large, damaged wall I would recommend using a primer. But since the damage is not that big it is possible to just use paint to cover the filled plastered surface.

Here are some some discussions regarding plaster board repair:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects