Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install smart switches and use the Grid connect app?

Kumar
Just Starting Out

How to install smart switches and use the Grid connect app?

On using Deta make smart switches & by the use of grid connect app on the phone, can we dim the lights?

If yes, then does the app provide / display a percentage of the output of the light?

I believe grid connect products work on WiFi & not on Zigbee protocol. Please advise.

Do we need to purchase a Deta hub to use Deta smart switches?

If yes, then what is the maximum permitted distance between the Deta hub & Deta smart switches?

Does Bunnings sell Zigbee based smart switches?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install smart switches and use the Grid connect app?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kumar. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about smart switches.

The Deta White Grid Connect Smart Touch Single Dimmer can be used in combination with the Grid Connect app to dim lights. The app shows the percentage of light being outputted.

The Grid Connect app works over WiFi.

There is no need to purchase a hub, provided there is adequate WiFi coverage over the area where the switches are located.

I am not aware of any Zigbee-based smart switches, but let me tag our resident expert @CSParnell for his thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to install smart switches and use the Grid connect app?

Hey @Kumar I have not seen Grid Connect release any ZigBee products even though the parent products Tuya have plenty of ZigBee products that work inside any of the Tuya based apps like Grid Connect or Smart Like or Tuya Home etc. 

Grid connect hardwired switches are standard wifi, some of their sensors are Bluetooth.

Just be careful with the hardwired ZigBee switches most of the ones I have seen on eBay and AliExpress are not Australian Certified and if there is a fire or other incident caused by them then insurance will walk away.

This video shows what you should be looking for.

https://youtu.be/nF7z-J6pTu0

Hope that helps some.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects