Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint the timber door?

notshyofeffort
Cultivating a Following

How to paint the timber door?

Hello 

I am a newbie and would love guidance on how to re-paint this door. Door's orientation was changed thus it is different colour. Do I need to prepare it etc.

Also the brass fittings - how can they be spruced up?

Thanks

ThanksDSC_0076.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to painting the timber door?

Hello @notshyofeffort

Thank you for sharing your proposed timber door painting project. The rules for painting a door still fall within the standard steps of painting a timber item.

• You need to do the Diggers Methylated Spirits - 1L test. Get a clean rag and put some metho on the edge of the rag. Rub it against a section of the door, if the paint comes off its water-based paint. If it doesn't come off and just becomes very shiny it's an oil-based paint. Once you identify which kind of paint is on your door you can now pick a colour.
  • Do you still need to sand it? Sanding the door is a necessary step, it provides a rough surface for the paint to grip on. 
  • Do I need to sand it all the way down to wood? The only reason for that is if you are staining the surface or you want a natural timber look. 
  • Do I still need to use primer on the door? Using a primer is always good practice as it gives the paint the best possible surface to adhere to. It also covers up the colour that was there before.    

Before you begin, please keep these steps in mind. Find a good spot where to sand the door or cover all the furniture in the area where the door is, as it will generate a lot of timber dust. Double-check the weather to make sure that you'll have a few days of sun. It's not ideal to paint in humid weather. My number one tip for your project is to get the best possible brush to get a superior finish on your door. 

Here are some handy links.

Here is a project shared by one of our Workshop members: Front door paint makeover by @Nham

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects