Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prep and paint these chipboard shelves?

Bissy
Growing in Experience

How to prep and paint these chipboard shelves?

A627C0BF-2B40-453E-B949-737C6BDC666F.jpeg

I got these shelves very cheap off Gumtree. They’re wonderful and sturdy, but the finish is a bit ugly. They’re just chipboard covered in a thin veneer made to look a bit like wood. The veneer is peeling off in a small area at the bottom. How do you prep this kind of furniture, and what paint would I use? I’ve never painted furniture before, so am unsure where to start 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I go about prepping and painting these shelves?

Hi @Bissy,

If this is a laminate surface, I recommend you use Dulux Precision Max Adhesion Primer. It's a primer that allows your paint to stick to smooth and hard-to-coat surfaces. Alternatively, if you weren't looking to invest that sort of money into the project, you could sand and scuff up the surface. This keys to the surface and will give your paint the best chance at adhering. I'd recommend using a 120-grit sandpaper for this process.

If this is a timber veneer, you just need to scuff up the clear coating, and you'll be ready to paint. A primer is always a good idea, though. 

For your paint, I'd recommend something relatively hard-wearing, like Dulux Aquanamel.

You might like to have a read through of this step-by-step guide on How to upcycle a bedside cabinet, as it will take you through some of the processes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bissy
Growing in Experience

Re: How would I go about prepping and painting these shelves?

Thanks very much! I actually have some Haymes aquanamel paint left over from painting part of the house, so just need primer. I’ll have a look at that information too. Thanks for the advice!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects