Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace aluminium windows?

guyrat7
Finding My Feet

How to replace aluminium windows?

Hi, we have these old aluminium windows. I want to replace the old window in the kitchen with a new. The counter top tiles are installed against the reveal. 

Can I remove only the aluminium window and keep the reveal? Does the old window sit on/against the reveal and bonded using glue /screws?

Can the new(second hand) window be installed on the existing reveal? 

Would the new window sit on the reveal or against the reveal? 

Thanks!

PXL_20240414_072139169.jpg

PXL_20240414_072203263.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace aluminium windows?

Hi @guyrat7,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

It would not be possible to correctly install a new second hand window without removing the inside reveal. It is extremely unlikely that you'll find a window that fits perfectly into the existing opening, so you need to have the ability to place shims around the window to create a tight fit. 

Once the window is installed, the reveal is then added after, so it is likely there will be glue and or screws hidden underneath the reveal. 

You might like to have a look at this handy article for some guidance on the window installation process:

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Re: How to replace aluminium windows?

Hi Jacob,

Thank you for the quick response. Will go through the link and come back with any questions. 

Regards,

Guy 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects