Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restain a front door?

Bandit-DIYDad
Getting Established

How to restain a front door?

Got a lot of time on my hands so working on organising a few jobs. 
My front door is starting to look a bit old and worn. A fresh stain would so it the world of good. 
I’m after some advice I don’t have a lot of experience with staining. I know I need to sand it back- but one of my questions is then … how much does it need to be sanded?

Also I’ve read some things that say use a cloth to apply the stain others say a brush….

Any advice is welcomed. 
thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Restaining a front door advice

Hello @Bandit-DIYDad 

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - How to protect front door? Need advice choosing water-based stain varnish by @terrywang. I think the most important part of staining your front door is to have an idea of what the stain will look like. I suggest visiting your local store and having a look at the stain and varnish sample board to give you an idea of what they look like once applied to timber. 

I've always used a brush when applying stain, my only attempt to use cloth was not very successful. However, I believe that if the stain is diluted properly, you should be able to get a nice uniform finish. I often suggest doing a test run on a piece of offcut timber panel to get a feel on how the stain will behave. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to restain a front door?

Hi @Bandit-DIYDad,

Just to add to @EricL's advice, what is the coating currently on the door? If it was purely a stain and you are going a similar colour then you only need to sand enough to remove and deteriorated timber or splinters; it needs to be smooth to the touch. 180-grit sandpaper would be great for this. However, if there were a hard coating varnish on it, you would need to sand it off entirely until you've reached the timber underneath, and a 120-grit sandpaper would cut through the varnish more easily; you can then finish it off with 180 to remove scratch marks. For a stain, you must expose the timber so it can draw it into the pores.

Remember, exterior varnish/stain combo products will not only re-colour your timber but also provide a long-lasting hard coating to protect it from the elements.

Feel free to post an image of the door, including close-ups of any deteriorated sections, so our knowledgeable members can better see what you're working with.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects