Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore these tables?

brendawebster44
Making a Splash

How to restore these tables?

Hi I have been away from the DIY for a while due to I’ll health. but now I am back . However I have still logged in and looked at other peoples projects. Now I owe Eric the wise an apology as I am dying to do up two tables. Guess what they are made from Pallets!!!haha😝I promise I will do the mirror soon Eric. They are as rough as guts but that won’t stop me. I am not sure what context this is in so I don’t know who to ask. I was in Bunnings last week for several hours with Charlie in the trolley and bought a electric sander (I like to be prepared)just a cheap one for now but if I can handle it. So any advice would be appreciated, I have photos but please don’t laugh, here goes 

07CECA62-F96B-4541-A0F4-993B843054F0.jpeg

DB3D6B5A-AA09-4FA6-9C43-38A708ABB060.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help to restore tables

Those look like they'll clean up a treat, @brendawebster44

What type of sander did you get? You should get it out and give it a test spin on a scrap piece of timber. Once you're confident with it, you can move onto the tables. I'd suggest you start off with a finer grit sandpaper, like 240-grit, as it will only remove a small amount of timber and is very forgiving. You can then progress to coarser grits to cut through any stains or damage. Remember, you can't put the timber back once it's removed, so take your time with it.

Once you've sanded your tables smooth, you'll be able to apply the stain or clearcoat of your choice.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects