Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix metal roof without gutter, causing brick window sills wet and turn green?

harryl111
Just Starting Out

How to fix metal roof without gutter, causing brick window sills wet and turn green?

1000059375.jpg

1000059373.jpg

The absence of gutters on the metal roof causes water to pour directly down the walls, splashing onto the brickwork beneath the window sills and causing discoloration and green deposits on the wall.

Is there a temporary protective measure, perhaps a cover or shield, that could be installed to redirect water away from the  window sills until ? I'm open to suggestions for any effective interim solutions.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix metal roof without gutter, causing brick window sills wet and turn green?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @harryl111. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a metal roof.

You might like to speak with your builder to find out whether drainage was to be installed for that portion of roof, or if there is, whether it is functioning correctly. That sounds like a bit of an odd situation where water would be allowed to cascade from a roof over and down a wall. I'm more thinking of long-term issues, like the solid being undermined, rather than the immediate ones.

Having lengths of Apron Flashing 2400mm 0.55mm BMT Colorbond steel Woodland Grey - Woodland Grey attached above the windows would likely create enough of an awning to prevent water landing on the window sill. However, if the water volume is significant, it's probably best to consider installing guttering along this wall.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects