Workshop
Ask a question

What are the most environmentally friendly pest control methods?

basildill
Getting Established

What are the most environmentally friendly pest control methods?

I want to protect my house against termites, cockroaches and other pests that might do damage or badly affect day-to-day life (e.g. get into food or take over parts of the house).

However, I also don't want to kill insects around my house if I can help it e.g. ants, bees and other insects in my garden or around my neighbourhood, or have chemicals that are deadly to insects or birds and fish leach out into local waterways. 

I think the previous owner must have sprayed a barrier spray recently enough as I've found some dead spiders and insects around the house since I moved in. 

Any advice on achieving a balance between pest control and not causing environmental damage? I was thinking of using diatomaceous earth for now to keep out ants from my doorway, but other than that - if I do use a spray, where's a good place to spray to minimise the impact on insects and spiders outside? What brand or type of spray might be good to use?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Most environmentally friendly pest control methods?

Hello @basildill 

Thanks for sharing your question about friendly pest control methods. If I recall correctly cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil is an excellent repellent for cockroaches. For termites removing water sources and timber near your home is a good way to prevent them from searching your area for food. 

However, if you are after long term protection then it will be necessary to use a spray. If you suspect that there is a current barrier that has been sprayed on your property, I suggest leaving it be and not doubling up. If you can speak to the former owner and find out when they had the house sprayed, you can then more or less gauge when the barrier needs to be sprayed again.  

A good example of a house barrier spray is the Yates 2L Home Pest Long Term Control Barrier Spray which lasts at least 12 months. I've placed an image below of where they recommend placing the spray on.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when using the spray. Please make sure to follow all the safety guidelines printed at the back of the container.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
basildill
Getting Established

Re: What are the most environmentally friendly pest control methods?

Thank you! I'll try to figure out if there's somewhere I can spray that will minimise insect/spider deaths outside my home (maybe apply carefully just inside the entrance ways). 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects