Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom makeover with painted bath and tiles

raceytrace
Having an Impact

Bathroom makeover with painted bath and tiles

20220730_131404.jpg

Intro:

We were getting an old house ready for sale, and this green bath just had to go.  A clean and a paint job was all that was required to transform this bathroom from drab to fab!

20220419_134840.jpg

Tools & Materials:

White Knight 7ml White Grout Pen

White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint

Rocket Wet And Dry Sanding Sheets - 6 Pack

ScotchBlue 24mm x 55m Original Multi-Surface Painter’s Masking Tape

White Knight Rust Guard Solvent Cleaner Paint Thinner - 1L

UNi-PRO 100mm 4mm Nap Little Ripper Microfibre Mini Roller Set

Paint Partner 25mm Synthetic Paint Brush

White Rags Paint Partner 1.5kg White Rags

White Knight 1L White Gloss Renew Tile And Laminate Paint

Mondella Chrome Cadenza Ceramic Disc Bath Set

Approx cost:  just over $300

Steps:

Paint the bath

1.  Clean the entire bathroom and remove the old tapware.  Use masking tape around the edges of the bath.

2.  Sand the bath and tiles using the wet and dry sandpaper to remove any sheen

3.  Clean the bathroom again!

4.  Use the Rust Guard solvent with the rags to wipe down the entire bath.

5.  Follow the directions on the White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint kit to mix up the paint.

6.  Once ready, apply the first coat of paint using the roller and brush. (Use turpentine to clean brushes and rollers).

(Tips: Try not to go over a section once it has been done, and don't use too much paint at once or it will start to show drip marks down the side of the bath).  

7.  Apply the second coat as per the directions on the box after waiting the required drying time.  (I left it a few days).

Paint the tiles

8.  Start with painting the grout lines using the brush.  Work on 4-6 tiles at a time.  Then use the roller to go over the tiles. Once done, don't go back over that section again until completely dry.

9.  Apply second coat the next day.

(I also painted the soap dispenser using this tile paint)

Paint the floor grout lines

10.  Using the grout pen, paint of the existing grout lines.  This took two pens as the nib was worn down half way through, though there was paint left in the pen.

Replace tapware

11.  The new taps had a different size spindle to the old taps so I wasn't able to just swap over the taps as I thought.  The old spindles were hard to remove so I had a plumber help with this task.

Notes: The bath paint had a few streaks in it where I had put the paint on too thick and it ran down overnight.

I was going to redo the silicon around the bath edges and vanity, but didn't do it in the end because of time.

Overall very happy with the final result, and the end of the green bath!!!

Kani1
Finding My Feet

Re: Bathroom makeover with painted bath and tiles

Thank you Mitchell I'm not quite ready to do it yet, but I'll take your advice and let you know :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects